INDOOR Underground Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
I think a simple rope heater would be sufficiant for lowlevel heating needs.... if its even needed.

.... I was wondering.... would this set-up be good for Redfoots? Do they need a subterainian refuge and would they us it if they had it?

I like this set-up! BUT I haven't given up on raising a redfoot hatchling either... and since I don't have the space for ANOTHER Sulcata, the Redfoot wins! (or maybe a Leopard)

.... would this setup work for a Leopard...?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maggie, You aren't causing any trouble. We're just talkin' torts. If you have a tort temping at 59 in an 86 degree room, something is off somewhere. You either have an air leak somewhere or different temps throughout the room. Tomorrow I will stick a temp probe down there and satisfy everyone's temperature concerns. You should always say whatever you want on my threads. I love your input!

So far so good Capn'. No tumbling yet.

I like that idea Kristina. I've got to figure out a way to attach a light, as I have the whole top covered. I have a small one that will fit over the center glass portion of the top. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Zamric, I have no idea if tis idea is going to work for sulcatas, much less any other species.

A sincere thanks for all the support and suggestions from everyone!! :) I still absolutely love having this forum of like-minded (nice way of saying "other crazy tortoise people") individuals to bounce these things off of.

morloch

5 Year Member
I'm sorry ,,, u had me at garlic??!! And wild onion??... Really,,is that for the sulcatas? I'm always looking for something different to give my guy,,, garlic and wild onion?
( oh ,,, I think your new enclosure is wonderful!!),

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
morloch said:
I'm sorry ,,, u had me at garlic??!! And wild onion??... Really,,is that for the sulcatas? I'm always looking for something different to give my guy,,, garlic and wild onion?
( oh ,,, I think your new enclosure is wonderful!!),

Its a weed that grows at my ranch. Really I'm not sure of the name, but I am pretty sure its the one they call wild garlic. It reminds me of what you would chop up to make chives, but its very tender. The tortoises love it. I'll post a pic ASAP.

Melly-n-shorty said:
wow tom this is really neat. have you got any pics of them hanging out down below?

Got some today. I'll post them as soon as I get a chance.

morloch

5 Year Member
Thanks tom!! We have a year round garden centre, I would ask for it,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
morloch said:
Thanks tom!! We have a year round garden centre, I would ask for it,

Your wording struck me funny... Do some places NOT have "year round" garden centers? :D

morloch

5 Year Member
Lol, most of them are closed for the season! Too cold for gardening,,, -8 here!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not easy to get good shots with this set up. Its so dark underneath, but with bad incandescent lighting up top. The hot spot created by the basking light makes the rest of it look dark. Anyhow, they are using the bottom from time to time now, but still spend most of their time up top. At least one of them slept down there last night.

x1nmdz.jpg

2rxy0ep.jpg

14o4tv.jpg

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Glad to see they are figuring it out...interested to see what behavior develops as they continue to grow more accustomed to the option

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For your next project or maybe a revamp on this one. Make the bottom level kinda like a maze, with clear plastic so you can still see them, make smaller tunnels instead of being all open. The smaller spaces of tunnel ways may feel more like the underground space they walk through, under the ground cover maybe instead of under ground? Just a thought.:D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That tank looks to be at least a 5 footer... Can you hang a 4' shop light right IN the tank?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
For your next project or maybe a revamp on this one. Make the bottom level kinda like a maze, with clear plastic so you can still see them, make smaller tunnels instead of being all open. The smaller spaces of tunnel ways may feel more like the underground space they walk through, under the ground cover maybe instead of under ground? Just a thought.:D

HEY!!! You are welcome to join in and do your OWN experiments any time you like BARB!

HAHAHA! I'm totally kidding and having fun...

I did consider the "open-ness" of this set up vs. the tightness of a barely big enough burrow... so much more to learn...

Kristina said:
That tank looks to be at least a 5 footer... Can you hang a 4' shop light right IN the tank?

I don't think I have enough height left with the basement in there. I will measure. I actually have a 4 footer sitting here not being used.

morloch

5 Year Member
Wow Tom ,,, u did a great job!! Wish I would have thought of it!!! I have so much PVC pipe just stored away in boxes too!!! Lol

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Man that looks great and should inspire a lot more double layer builds. It sure looks good and sweaty down there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ripper7777777 said:
Man that looks great and should inspire a lot more double layer builds. It sure looks good and sweaty down there.

Thanks, I sure hope it does. :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom, I would love to help you out with some experiments. I only have one tort though :p How many would you like to send me, so I can get started:p
I just thought maybe in your spare time, you would like to start another project :D:D:D. Of course just kidding. Not about sending me some torts though:shy:

wellington said:
Tom, I would love to help you out with some experiments. I only have one tort though :p How many would you like to send me, so I can get started:p
I just thought maybe in your spare time, you would like to start another project :D:D:D. Of course just kidding. Not about sending me some torts though:shy:

I forgot, leopards only please:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I checked the "underground" temps over the last couple of days and nights. We've had some exceptionally cold nights and the temp in the reptile room dipped all the way to 78. It was 77 in the underground portion of the new set-up during that time. By that sunny afternoon the room warmed up to 84 and the underground temp got up to 81. For the last two days the underground temp has been as low as 77 and as high as 81. I find it interesting the the temperature is pretty stable and changes less than the over all ambient room temp.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
You know this is gonna cause issue with the anti aquarium no air circulation people, I hope your prepared..... :p

So how wet is it in their basement?

Keep us posted and updated with lots of pics, I may incorporate this idea into my outdoor table I have to build in spring. I was planning a burrow like that video on youtube, but this setup gives me a much better idea allowing access.

Status
Not open for further replies.