Un happy torts ?

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland tx
Hey everyone!

This is my first winter with "bigger" sulcatas. I moved Rosie and toothless inside so I could make sure they were warm enough especially since we were in able to get there house ready over the summer.

When the temps are in the 70's and up I take them out side to graze and fresh air. But when they are in the house to me they seam so unless happy . And toothless doesn't seam to take it well at all. I've had to start soaking him 2 times a day because he seams to be dry .While Rosie is fine .

If we get the house fixed would it be ok to let them stay out all the time ? If I have to keep them in what would y'all recommend on making them happy?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size are they?

Where are they in the house? In a heated enclosure, or down on the floor?

Are they living together as a pair?

Cleveland tx
What size are they?

Where are they in the house? In a heated enclosure, or down on the floor?

Are they living together as a pair?

Rosie is around 4 pounds and toothless is around 3 pounds .They are in heated enclosures. Plastic bins with the ceramic heat emitters and uvb . It's also incloused. With a good humidity .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, if you plan on them living outside in those bins, I wouldn't do it. If they could live outside in a yard with a heated shelter, then it might be ok.

Cleveland tx
No, if you plan on them living outside in those bins, I wouldn't do it. If they could live outside in a yard with a heated shelter, then it might be ok.
I was just using the bins for inside .I'm hoping the out door houses will be finished in the next couple of days. It will have heat in it and will have a grazing area for them to go out and eat. Do you think that would be ok?

Cleveland tx
Or would y'all suggest with the out side houses just for day time and then bring them in at night? Right now our temps range from 30 degrees to some days 80 degrees ( we live near Houston Texas .) We don't get the average winter

daniellenc

Maryland
30 degrees is waaaaay too cold to be roaming outdoors. However, temps in 70's-80's are great. If your night boxes retain enough heat to keep nighttime temps in this range then lock them in at night and open the door in the morning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bringing them in from outdoors into a small tub with no lights is most likely the issue. At that size, they should be in a 4x8' closed chambers with full heating and lighting, or living outside in large enclosures with a heated night box.

One heat source with no lighting and little room to move isn't good for any tortoise.

Cleveland tx
Bringing them in from outdoors into a small tub with no lights is most likely the issue. At that size, they should be in a 4x8' closed chambers with full heating and lighting, or living outside in large enclosures with a heated night box.

One heat source with no lighting and little room to move isn't good for any tortoise.
I had them each in a outdoor enclosure it was 8x 20 but when it started getting cold I brought them in on warm days I make sure they are out. But if y'all think a heated box out side is good for this size I would much rather have them out side. I'm hoping they should be finished by tomorrow but no later than this weekend.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had them each in a outdoor enclosure it was 8x 20 but when it started getting cold I brought them in on warm days I make sure they are out. But if y'all think a heated box out side is good for this size I would much rather have them out side. I'm hoping they should be finished by tomorrow but no later than this weekend.
What length are they?

You'll need to run the box and make sure it is staying warm enough during cold spells.