UK tortoise care??

Status
Not open for further replies.

helensky

5 Year Member
Hi, I posted this here in the hopes of getting more response.

I posted here http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13154.html?highlight=helensky
about how my Hermann came out of hibernation with a slightly poorly looking eye. Since then, Mini has been absolutely fine; eating, drinking and enjoying the sunshine. His eye still looked a little small, but I didn't worry as it didn't seem to bother him at all and his sight was fine.

Yesterday, Mini's eye (the same one) started to looked very swollen and closed. He can open it, but no way near as much. He is still eating and drinking. I have tried to clean the eye by gently wiping it with (cold) boiled water and a cotton bud, but today is still no better.
Where do I go from here? I know everyone's gut reaction will be terramycin (sp?) but can I get this in the UK? Where? Is there anything else you can recommend? Do vets in this country know their tortoise stuff?

Any response is appreciated x

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It sounds like Mini has an eye infection. You shouldn't have any problem getting antibiotic eye ointment from a vet in the UK. Where do you live? We should be able to find a tortoise vet near you. :)

Danny

helensky

5 Year Member
I did message you dan, but didn't get a response. I ended up going to a vet approved reptile centre that gave me some ointment (I googled it before I used it), but there were some very sad tortoises in there :( I won't be going again

S

stells

For future reference you can buy chloramphenicol eye ointment here in the UK online... as a good substitution for Terramycin...

helensky

5 Year Member
stells said:
For future reference you can buy chloramphenicol eye ointment here in the UK online... as a good substitution for Terramycin...

didn't know that, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.