Taking tortie from UK to Canada

fredsmum

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone on here can offer some advice please?

We are looking at moving from the UK to Canada in the near future and would like to bring our tortie with us. I've looked into the canadian import side and it doesn't seen too onerous as he is classed as a pet etc. (we'd also be bringing our horses and THAT is complicated, lol).

However, the problem we have is that said tortie is 55 years old and has been in the family that whole time - so he doesn't have any paperwork.....

Has anyone ever retrospectively paperworked a tortie? He's a spur-thigh if that any relevance.
I did contact defra but the response i got was cryptic to say the least!

Thank you in advance :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not real sure, but I don't think Canada requires tortoises to have paperwork.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone on here can offer some advice please?

We are looking at moving from the UK to Canada in the near future and would like to bring our tortie with us. I've looked into the canadian import side and it doesn't seen too onerous as he is classed as a pet etc. (we'd also be bringing our horses and THAT is complicated, lol).

However, the problem we have is that said tortie is 55 years old and has been in the family that whole time - so he doesn't have any paperwork.....

Has anyone ever retrospectively paperworked a tortie? He's a spur-thigh if that any relevance.
I did contact defra but the response i got was cryptic to say the least!

Thank you in advance :)
Does the tortoise have a veterinarian? If there are veterinary records, it might help establish length of ownership... if it's needed. If the tortoise is mentioned in a will or other legal paperwork, or a news article, or if there are old photographs, or any inventory mentioning said tortoise, that might help you backfill on documentation... again, IF it's needed. If you need other ideas, let me know.