Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So I browse craigslist all the time and I found an add about tortoises. I emailed the person and they're african-spurred tortoises (sulcata) and about a year old. Of course, this guy doesn't have pictures or isn't able to take them. Selling them for $75 a piece.

His email: "almost a year sorry cant do pics no camra they eat like pigs"

So, am I wrong to assume that this person doesn't know what they're doing and that they've possibly been neglected? If so, I feel bad :( I can provide a good environment for these guys for at least a few years.

Does anyone else get concerned/washed up by this kinda stuff too? I'm only one person and can only do so much. I think rescues are a great idea, but . . . I dunno.

Feedback, folks :)

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Bah! The guy made the post in the wrong city. He ment to put it in buffalo new york.

What a goof.

By my question still stands: What do you folks do when you see a tortoise that needs your help?

pickle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sometimes i try and help other times i just leave it alone so someone else can handle the situation.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I help when I can. I take in fosters when I can and rehome them. I will also contact the person and refer them to rescues. Some will use them others won't. Some people are out for the $$. If they truly care for the tort they will find it a home, hopefully in the hands of a knowledgeable tort person. It is something I think a lot of us struggle with. But if I bought every tort I thought was neglected or was even given it I wouldn't have room for them all. So I count my blessings for the ones I can help and pray for the ones I can't. And I am always trying to educate people about torts and turts. I figure every little bit helps.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I browse Craiglist all the time too. I feel the same way, wish I could rescue all the animals I see! But it is impossible to save them all yourself.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I browse, and if they have pics and they look horrible then I try to pick them up (rockie my new one was from cl). If they look healthy or there is no picture then I just try and give them sites to post on that is visited by tort people or refer to a rescue and such. You can't take them all in, otherwise you will run out of room.

Status
Not open for further replies.