Two males different sizes

BronwynRH

Location (City and/or State)
Prospect, KY
Myrtle appeared behind my car tire one morning 5 years ago. He was small and I felt responsible for him since I'd been moments from backing over him. He was too small to sex though, thus the name. It became clear after a couple of years though. A year ago, enter Yertle, also rescued from a tree-planting adventure in the backyard. He was also small, but has grown enough that it's clear to see he's also male.

Myrtle and Yertle got along fine for almost a year, but Myrtle had recently been very aggressively trying to make it with or Yertle, who really doesn't appreciate the attention.

Today I pulled the 10-gallon tank back out and put Yertle in it on his own. Myrtle remains in the 20-gallon tank.

What's the question... First, do you think this separation will have to be permanent? Is Myrtle big enough to be released back into the wild? Would he make it at the big pond in our neighborhood, where several 10-15 lb turtles already reside?

We live on 2 acres with coyotes and my outdoor huntress pup, who probably couldn't be trusted to leave turtles alone, though so far her targets have been only rodent and avian.

Lastly, I'm attaching photos of their current homes. Suggestions are welcome. I've tried live plants, like parsley and strawberries, but they dried out too quickly. Are fake plants good enough? Are plants for my aesthetic or theirs?

Anyway, I love them and Myrtle even seems to like me a bit--though today he was ticked off when I repeatedly pulled him off of his roommate--but I also worry that I'm a terrible turtle mom and would appreciate suggestions for making their lives better.

15570074266018341861675985439935.jpg 15570074903632856406127094514297.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Once they're big enough to live outside you can probably put them back together. The problem now is that Myrtle lived alone in his territory then all of a sudden there appears this other turtle in his territory. Naturally, he's going to try to chase the interloper away. If you had set up a totally new aquarium and put them both into the new area it might have worked out better. I have a big turtle yard with quite a few males in it and, while I really don't spend all that much time out there, I don't ever see discontent among the males.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should never live as a pair. One will always be dominant and the other submissive, and both suffer for it. Groups can sometimes work, but never pairs, as you've seen already.

Both enclosures are far too small, and they look too dry in the pictures. Box turtles need dampness and humidity. Large terra cotta saucers sunk into the substrate will help. The substrate you are using is great, but it should be more damp and much thicker.

There are many ways to build enclosures out back to keep them safe from the dog and other predators. Simple 2x4 frame with welded wire attached would do it.

Releasing them at the local pond might work, or it might not. Chances are good the the youngster will be driven from the territory, but its possible that he could hide away from the more aggressive adults... I give him less than 50/50 if you put him there, but that is just a guess.

BronwynRH

Prospect, KY
Thanks, Tom and Yvonne!

Both boys have a pool they enjoy bathing (and pooping) in, and I mist, but will definitely add more substrate today. I can soak it too, before adding it to the tanks, if that won't promote mold growth. With the emergency extraction, I just didn't have enough for both at the time. Thanks for the reminder though, because I remembered Myrtle used to enjoy burrowing under.

Size: Myrtle is about 4" across and in a 20-gal long; Yertle only 2" and in a 10-gal. Is there an inches-to-gallons ratio rule of thumb?

Thanks again for the feedback!

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Thanks, Tom and Yvonne!

Both boys have a pool they enjoy bathing (and pooping) in, and I mist, but will definitely add more substrate today. I can soak it too, before adding it to the tanks, if that won't promote mold growth. With the emergency extraction, I just didn't have enough for both at the time. Thanks for the reminder though, because I remembered Myrtle used to enjoy burrowing under.

Size: Myrtle is about 4" across and in a 20-gal long; Yertle only 2" and in a 10-gal. Is there an inches-to-gallons ratio rule of thumb?

Thanks again for the feedback!

I truthfully don’t recommend any kind of glass enclosure because even a 40 gallon offers such cramped up space. If you HAVE to use a glass enclosure make sure you wrap some type of newspaper around the base as turtles and tortoises do not recognize glass and will consistently bump into it thinking they can walk through. This can lead the beak damage or trauma to the head. Me personally if you are keeping them indoors I would use stock tanks. I have a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank that is about 4-5 ft long and about 3ft wide. It allows me to place plants all over the enclosure and provide areas of shade and leaves to hide under. You can find a smaller stock tank as well for the littler guy. Try Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Hone Depot, etc. I got mine from Tractor Supply for about 60 bucks. Easy to clean too. Here’s what mine looks like.

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg