Two male Russians living together?

MattTL

I have two Russian tortoises who are males that live together in a 2.5x3ft area. Even though they bite each other sometimes, they rest their heads on each other's shell and can be friendly. Is it possible to keep these two in the same enclosure? I would get a bigger enclosure but I do not have the room. They are fairly young, about 5 or 6.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They need to be separated. It is very stressful for them to be living that way. Its not fair man. Its just a question of time until serious injury occurs.

MattTL

Okay. Thank you, I will see what I can do. Could I have them in the same enclosure but separate them when necessary? I know it is better to separate them completely, but could this work if it is too difficult to find room for a second enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even if you sat there 24/7 and never took your eyes off of them, it is still very stressful for them to be living with an intruder in their territory. They each need their own territory with no other tortoises in it.

They need to be in separate enclosures one way or another.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's right, it just won't work; over time one will be the bullied one and will really be miserable. Sometimes it isn't obvious.
In the wild, they roam over acres before they see another tortoise.

Hope you can work it out! :)

capedthespian

You should know by now that Russia doesn't go for males living together, tortoise or not. Joking aside, the aggression you may not see between males can lead to stress, illness, and even death.