Can two male russians ever live together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren80

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dorset, England
I have posted before asking for help about the gender of my two russians..?I have since been flashed by both of them, confirming they are male!! They are captive breed and approximately 4 and 3 yrs old. The older one Pebbles shows BamBam who's boss fairly often, and I separate them when this happens. Having said that it's not got really bad yet...but what I would like to know is can they live together long term? Or should I think about re-homing one?...If only I had the space to home both of them. I know I need to do whats best for them and not me...I would like to think that because they are young they could grow to tolerate each other? but all opions and advise welcome. thanks x

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes they can live together I have 2 males they live together but they live in a big outdoor enclosure. Indoors it is a lot harder, and for awhile they may be nice to each other and enjoy each other's company. But usually indoors they tend to get in each others way and just end up fighting you have to remember they are still wild animals even if they are CB, so their wild instincts usually tend to show up. Russians are usually very territorial, it is just their nature. For now if they don't actually injure each other, and they are both eating and growing then they can stay together, just be prepared to eventually separate them if they start fighting.

lauren80

5 Year Member
Dorset, England
Ok thanks, watch and wait then?!! they are inside at the moment. but spend most of the summer outside. They are eatting and growing, but i have noticed they are eatting less. I put this down to the season? i how hope this is not stress?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would assume right now they are eating less because it is winter time, and even though they have warmth and light they still seem to slow down a little, mine hibernate during the winter time so I can't really say if they slow down during winter, they are asleep.

lauren80

5 Year Member
Dorset, England
Thanks for your help. I want to try hibernating next year..or maybe the follow year!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll bet BamBam doesn't think that "its not got really bad yet". It is not physically impossible for two males to cohabitate peacefully, but it is very unlikely.

They would both be happier if you kept them separate.

Luke225

5 Year Member
lauren80 said:
I have posted before asking for help about the gender of my two russians..?I have since been flashed by both of them, confirming they are male!! They are captive breed and approximately 4 and 3 yrs old. The older one Pebbles shows BamBam who's boss fairly often, and I separate them when this happens. Having said that it's not got really bad yet...but what I would like to know is can they live together long term? Or should I think about re-homing one?...If only I had the space to home both of them. I know I need to do whats best for them and not me...I would like to think that because they are young they could grow to tolerate each other? but all opions and advise welcome. thanks x

Yes! Better in outdoor enclosure with lots of room. Indoors can be tricky if you don't have room. Can be teritorial and can get agressive with each other. Like most males.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Harmony is a hard thing to achieve with pairs....now toss in that pair are two males and the odds decrease greatly.

You can perhaps make a two story enclosure instead if taking up another space in your home...building up would essentially use air space above your current enclosure....just a suggestion :D

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
My male and female RT don't get along. Lola is the aggressive one; she like's to "Ram" Sherman and bite his legs; therefor, I split their indoor enclosure and monitor them closely when they are outside, when the weather permits.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I'm of the opinion that two males [ most all species ] will co-habitate.. they do like to mix it up occasionally!

Introduce a female and you have a WAR! [ most every species ]

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
In the wild, male Russian tortoises defend a territory of about 25 hectares against other males, allowing only females in to mate. Unless you have a very large enclosure or a yard with plenty of space and visual barriers, one male is usually going to pick on the other one to the point of injury or illness. Best to separate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.