Turtle Meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

byerssusan

I was just browsing...and came upon this :
Turtle is considered to be the oldest, sacred symbol of the Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee people. They believed that North America was created on the back of a turtle. Father Sky's wife fell through a hole in the sky, and to keep her from drowning little Muskrat managed to bring up a handful of soil from the bottom of the ocean; she placed it on Turtle's wide back and the land immediately began to grow eventually forming North America. To this day most Indigenous peoples refer to North America as Turtle Island. (You might want to take a look at the shape of North America in an Atlas, it look just like a turtle. The feet are: Alaska, Greenland, Baha, California and Florida. The tail is the continent of South America. Top half of the shell is Canada, bottom half is the continental United States.)

The medicine of turtle is its deliberate and thorough approach to life; Turtle is also courageous because it makes progress only when it sticks its neck out, and moves forward with patient, steady flow in order to achieve the desired results.

The turtle shell, regardless of size, was also used as a calendar, with the thirteen large patterned squares counting out all the full moons of the year. The 28 small squares on the outside counted the days of each lunar month.

Taken from:
http://www.shannonthunderbird.com/symbols_and_meanings.htm

I am into this sort of thing..Thought maybe some others here might be too and find this interesting. If not just ignore everything you just read LOL.. *S*

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
Or the old belief that the earth rested on the backs of two turtles.

B

byerssusan

Yeah I Love the site. I have many more.. I am in too the Spiritual side of life *S*..And wondered why Tortoise after so many years came into my life. Which when you find out, the meanings ..symbols..behind the tortoise ..it makes the bond between you and your tortoise even tighter. Or it does me anyway.

F

freddy10

byerssusan said:
Yeah I Love the site. I have many more.. I am in too the Spiritual side of life *S*..And wondered why Tortoise after so many years came into my life. Which when you find out, the meanings ..symbols..behind the tortoise ..it makes the bond between you and your tortoise even tighter. Or it does me anyway.

Thanks to me, lol for getting her for you, just think if you never move out to AZ you would not have one. Lol :p

B

byerssusan

The tortoise totem carries similar medicine that relates to the turtle.
Tortoises, however, are land dwellers, and are not associated with water.
Tortoises are known for their longevity and slow movement. They are persistent,
but not speedy. One major lesson the tortoise teaches is patience, "all in good
time." Because of its deliberate movements the tortoise is a keen observer and
learns along his path. He lives long and is a wise character. When tortoise
totem shows up look around at your environment and see what you may be missing.
Take care in your thinking before making any major decisions. Time is on your
side.

Turtle
Mother Earth, Moon Magik, Protection, Ancient Wisdom, and Grounding/Centering.

With all the changes on our Earth at the moment,
it did not surprise me when Turtle walked forward to be this months'
guide. When life is chaos and we are rushing from one project to another,
this is the time we need to be grounded to Mother Earth the most. Turtle
walks with purpose and intention because she walks on our Mother Earth.
She hears Earth's heart beat and carries the wisdom to feel this beat.
Turtle teaches us to SLOW DOWN. Just like the children's fable of the rabbit
and the tortoise, we learn we will make the finish line just the same as the
rabbit, but with less stress. Turtle also reflect the secrets of the moon with
13 scale plates on her back that represent the 13 moon cycles of the year.
Turtle, with her beautiful shell reminds us we need to take our protection with
us, wherever we may need to travel to. Home and safety is always around us,
this way we can be free to travel into any adventure.

For me when Phoenix showed up in my life I was contemplating on moving back east. It was a very quick decision based on a few things that has happened..Anyway I was rushing into it. And as you can see The Tortoise medicine/totem says slow down..do not make any quick decisions..Which I listened and did not.I am very happy here. For myself this is where I am and want to be. I was shocked when I read up on the tortoise totem..It was telling me just what I needed to hear. Some may think I am crazy..LOL.. I might be LOL

laramie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
Thank You for sharing that.. May I askAre you originally from Arizona and why did you name your tort Phoenix?

B

byerssusan

No I am originally from Kentucky/Indiana..Born and raised. I just moved to Arizona about two years ago. The name Phoenix actually just came to me before I even saw Phoenix.../Maybe because we lived there before where we are now I don't know. I just know it came to me and it stuck. It's like right now...I have a Burro who just recently we had bred and a name for the baby has already came to me. Little Feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.