Turtle Fossil

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
The purpose of this thread is to show my turtle fossil and my efforts to preserve it.
In 1996, while working overseas, I bought a turtle fossil at a gem and mineral show:

IMG_8964.JPG
IMG_8965.JPG

It is about 10 inches long and 9 inches wide at the widest point. It weighs 9.5 pounds. I was told it was from the Gobi Desert in China. Over the years, I noticed that it sheds tiny bits of black crumbs from the scutes on its back, but had NO IDEA how to protect and preserve it. Fast forward to January 2018- TFO member, Tidgey's Dad is a paleontologist, and he directed me to The Fossil Forum! They are a group of really lovely people who are incredibly knowledgable! :) They quickly determined that my fossil was genuine, which was a concern for me since counterfeit fossils is a :eek: huge business!!!! They also identified the genus and species: Anosteira maomingensis!!!
The majority of these are found in the Guangdong Province of southern China, although the Anosteira genus had a wide range, including North America. They are related to soft shelled turtles and to Carettochelyidae, which are the Pig Nosed Turtle (aka Fly River Turtle) that live in Australia! :)

Pig Nosed Turtle:

fullsizeoutput_826.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_827.jpeg

Much like the Fly River Turtle, my Anosteira was a fresh water turtle that inhabited rivers and lagoons. Its front limbs were paddles with 2 claws. So I imagine my turtle probably looked a lot like the adorable Pig Nosed Turtle!

Later in the spring, when the temperatures are warm enough for me to work outside, I will post the preservation method that the Fossil Forum gurus are recommending. This involves the use of plastic polymer beads dissolved in acetone; since acetone is highly volatile and flammable, it's NOT something you want to do :eek: inside!!!!

Although I won't start the preservation until March or April, if you're interested in fossils, join in this thread! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How cool is that!

Way long time ago, in the '50s and '60s when my kids were young, we found quite a few rocks with embedded clam shells here in the Fresno/Clovis area. I've always wondered if that was because of Noah's flood, as this is way far from any water. I never saved any of them, not thinking they were important at all.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The purpose of this thread is to show my turtle fossil and my efforts to preserve it.
In 1996, while working overseas, I bought a turtle fossil at a gem and mineral show:

View attachment 227755
View attachment 227756

It is about 10 inches long and 9 inches wide at the widest point. It weighs 9.5 pounds. I was told it was from the Gobi Desert in China. Over the years, I noticed that it sheds tiny bits of black crumbs from the scutes on its back, but had NO IDEA how to protect and preserve it. Fast forward to January 2018- TFO member, Tidgey's Dad is a paleontologist, and he directed me to The Fossil Forum! They are a group of really lovely people who are incredibly knowledgable! :) They quickly determined that my fossil was genuine, which was a concern for me since counterfeit fossils is a :eek: huge business!!!! They also identified the genus and species: Anosteira maomingensis!!!
The majority of these are found in the Guangdong Province of southern China, although the Anosteira genus had a wide range, including North America. They are related to soft shelled turtles and to Carettochelyidae, which are the Pig Nosed Turtle (aka Fly River Turtle) that live in Australia! :)

Pig Nosed Turtle:

View attachment 227757

View attachment 227758

Much like the Fly River Turtle, my Anosteira was a fresh water turtle that inhabited rivers and lagoons. Its front limbs were paddles with 2 claws. So I imagine my turtle probably looked a lot like the adorable Pig Nosed Turtle!

Later in the spring, when the temperatures are warm enough for me to work outside, I will post the preservation method that the Fossil Forum gurus are recommending. This involves the use of plastic polymer beads dissolved in acetone; since acetone is highly volatile and flammable, it's NOT something you want to do :eek: inside!!!!

Although I won't start the preservation until March or April, if you're interested in fossils, join in this thread! :)
All wonderful stuff.
I was very happy that I was right and it was real, though i had no idea of the genus.
It's a very precious thing, very few of these get out of China now, you can be executed for exporting vertebrate fossils.
Here is a modern Anosteira sp.
AnosteirarepresentedbyextantPig-nos.jpg~c200

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
All wonderful stuff.
I was very happy that I was right and it was real, though i had no idea of the genus.
It's a very precious thing, very few of these get out of China now, you can be executed for exporting vertebrate fossils.
Here is a modern Anosteira sp.
AnosteirarepresentedbyextantPig-nos.jpg~c200

WOW!!!! [emoji33]

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
How cool is that!

Way long time ago, in the '50s and '60s when my kids were young, we found quite a few rocks with embedded clam shells here in the Fresno/Clovis area. I've always wondered if that was because of Noah's flood, as this is way far from any water. I never saved any of them, not thinking they were important at all.
Your area used to be underwater, but the sea level has dropped and the land has been pushed up so one can find marine fossils even at high altitude.
This sea-urchin,/sand dollar / echinoid is a fossil from Fresno County and is 10 million years old.
fossil-sand-dollar-pleistocene-epoch-10-millions-years-ago-fresno-picture-id81782195

Not my specimen, obviously.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

View attachment 227755
View attachment 227756

Pig Nosed Turtle:

View attachment 227757

View attachment 227758

That is pretty super cool! I love fossils too and it looks like you have a very nice one in pretty darn good condition! ;) Let me know if you need any additional help with storing your artifact. I am an archivist and I can recommend some good storage solutions. I'm sure you have lots of good info from the Fossil Forum though. :D Can't wait to hear more!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 227755
View attachment 227756

Pig Nosed Turtle:

View attachment 227757

View attachment 227758

The pig nosed turtle is so cute.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
How cool is that!

Oh such a pity.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Your area used to be underwater, but the sea level has dropped and the land has been pushed up so one can find marine fossils even at high altitude.
This sea-urchin,/sand dollar / echinoid is a fossil from Fresno County and is 10 million years old.
fossil-sand-dollar-pleistocene-epoch-10-millions-years-ago-fresno-picture-id81782195

Not my specimen, obviously.

BEAUTIFUL!!! [emoji2]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
That is pretty super cool! I love fossils too and it looks like you have a very nice one in pretty darn good condition! ;) Let me know if you need any additional help with storing your artifact. I am an archivist and I can recommend some good storage solutions. I'm sure you have lots of good info from the Fossil Forum though. :D Can't wait to hear more!

Cool!!! [emoji2] Thanks! [emoji106]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Notice the thing like a barnacle on the urchin?
This is a crinoid holdfast.
This means when the little echinoid was chugging along just under the substrate surface he had one of these :
View attachment 227772
sticking out of him like a flag!

It’s WONDERFUL!!!! [emoji2] Looks like feathers!!!!! [emoji173]️

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

View attachment 227755
View attachment 227756

Pig Nosed Turtle:

View attachment 227757

View attachment 227758

I'm an old turtle fossil myself but nobody's ever picked me up and placed any value on me.

Great idea for a thread!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
When it comes to fossils, I'm a fan of the ammonite (because I think the Nautilus is cute) and trilobites (of which pill bugs are a descendant). :) Pictures of these guys are below:
View attachment 227797
View attachment 227798
The ammonite is a Cleoniceras from the Upper Cretaceous and is about 110 million years old.
The trilobites are Kainops sp from the basal Devonian about 410 million years old.
Trilobites left no descendants, sadly. :(
They're beautiful fossils, are they yours?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
When it comes to fossils, I'm a fan of the ammonite (because I think the Nautilus is cute) and trilobites (of which pill bugs are a descendant). :) Pictures of these guys are below:
View attachment 227797
View attachment 227798
Oh, how COOL!!!!!
I have 2 ammonites, one of which was purchased as a necklace pendant.
I LOVE PILL BUGS!!!!!!!!! Now I love them even MORE knowing they are TRILOBITE descendants!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
The ammonite is a Cleoniceras from the Upper Cretaceous and is about 110 million years old.
The trilobites are Kainops sp from the basal Devonian about 410 million years old.
Trilobites left no descendants, sadly. :(
They're beautiful fossils, are they yours?

Oops! Oh, well- I STILL love pill bugs!!!! :<3: