TURTLE FIGHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
Hello,

I recently got 2 new box turtles...now I have 3. I put my 1st turtle in with the 2 new ones and she started to sniff the ttbt (same as her) like a dog would do...then within a few minutes she tried to BITE the new turtle...I immediately removed her from the enclosure..I was scared!..I don't want them to fight..and soon I want them to all live together...it made me sad to think that Ninja was a meanie....any advice?

:tort::(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While box turtles can and do live in colonies, some just don't want others around. Did you quarantine your new arrivals before introducing?

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I have had the other turtles for 5 days...i just put ninja in for a few minutes then after she tried to bite i took her out...the other turtles are eating normally and drinking..and active...how long should i quarantine?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I quarantine about 3 months, some do longer and shorter.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
dmmj said:
Personally I quarantine about 3 months, some do longer and shorter.

do you think that the 4 minutes she was in there she could catch something?..i will watch her...I hope everything will be fine

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Honestly I don't think so, it is always possible, but I would not worry about it to much. No exchange of fluids or anything like that no poop interaction, so there should be no worries about it.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
after you quarentine it should be just warming up in california so id reintroduce them to each other outside where there is alot more space and obstructions of sight : ) then moniter them

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I observed my first female dominance activity in my collection last fall. Molly was mounting several other females. I hope it doesn't continue.
It is interesting though, that Molly has probably been in captivity longer than any of my box turtles, yet she is consistantly showing the most novel and distinct behavior. She hunts and eats at the bottom of the pond earthworms that have drowned, lays huge clutches, is the only one that triple clutches, is often the earliest turtle up on cool mornings, and is often the latest turtle out and active as night is falling. Now she's starting to show female dominance.

I suppose that as long as you supervise, you might be able to slowly introduce them. Perhaps if your older female feels she has staked her claim as top-hen, she will no longer attack the others.

Scott has very good advise on the sight obstructions (his other advise is good too!). Plus, the tank will feel bigger to the turtles if there are lots of sight obstructers (sp).

Steve

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing to consider is that the new turtle is male, not female. What you described, besides being an aggressive act, is a breeding act.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
emysemys said:
Another thing to consider is that the new turtle is male, not female. What you described, besides being an aggressive act, is a breeding act.

The new 3toed is a lot bigger...I will post pics soon for evaluation..I know Ninja is a girl, she laid an egg when I first got her...

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
well..Ninja has been giving me the stink eye ever since i put her in the vivarium to socialize for 4 minutes!...she is still in her enclosure, but she glares at me. She can see the other turtles roaming around since she has a visual of them. I keep talking to her and show her alot of attention. I was informed that her attempt to bite could be something close to a mating ritual. The new ttbt is bigger, but I thought was female. I have not fully examined to find out. BUT its possible it was just an "alpha" "omega" thing.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
your first turt is almost definatly a female from your earlier post's but i suppose its possible however "he" Would attempt to mount not just show the aggressive behavior of snapping

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I guess I need to name these turtles. I think I am confusing people.:p

Ninja, my ttbt is a female, she is my 1st turtle. I know she is female since she has laid an egg once. I have had her for many years.

The new ttbt is bigger than Ninja and I have not given this one a name. this turtle only has one eye. I have not "sexed" this one yet professionally.

the new ornate does not have a name yet. But the forum has said from pics that it is female. I have not had it professionally checked yet.

I might be the one confused too:D

Status
Not open for further replies.