Males fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Today someone gave me a male box turtle. I already have a male, so I put the new male in the enclosure with the knowlege of a possible fight. No doubt within a few minutes they were going at each other. I immediately seperated them. I have never had this problem before. Any tips on how to keep them from fighting while living in the same enclosure would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
How large is your enclosure? Males tend to spar, have a winner and move on. However, if your enclosure is small and they keep seeing each other they will keep sparing. Lots of plants will help them not see each other all the time and reduce sparing.

Hope this helps.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They need space and hides, sometimes males fight.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's about how big mine is. I have an old female Ornate in with my Easterns and a Three Toed. The Ornate will hog all the food and go after the smaller ones when the food comes out. I feed her all the way at the other end of the enclosure. When there's no food she won't bother with them. How many do you have in there? Mine is plenty big for the 6 I have in there. I have a lot of plants, so sometimes you can't even find any of them. I've never had any other issues and they used to be in a smaller garden. Do you have any pictures?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I dont have any pictures. I have one adult male eastern box turtle and three female easterns. There are plenty of plants to the extent that it is nearly impossible to find all of the turtles at one time. My concern is that they may hurt each other.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you've tried everything, then the only thing I can suggest is that you'll have to separate the aggressive male, if you intend to keep him.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I do think that is my only alternative because i have tried everything else. Thanks to everyone that tried to help me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.