Tricking my 3 year old Tortoise into eating

Tortieporty

Location (City and/or State)
East Yorkshire
So I just started my Tortoise on this new food called Arcadia Optimized52, she loved it for the first two days but has now gone off it

Today I decided to try and trick her, I got all the Optimized weeds and flowers and wrapped them into bits of salad to create a salad burrito

I don’t like feeding store bought food but it all went down nicely with the salad, she’s as stubborn as an ox so if I stop feeding her salad she will just stop eating all together

Do any of you use any special feeding tricks for stubborn babies and have any of you tried this new feed and what did you think?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What species is she? Whatever she is, just feed her the correct diet, then no special supplement would be necessary. Don't let her wrap you around her little claw.

Tortieporty

East Yorkshire
What species is she? Whatever she is, just feed her the correct diet, then no special supplement would be necessary. Don't let her wrap you around her little claw.
She’s a Horsefield, well anything healthy she isn’t mad keen on, same as most kids, I put it out everyday for her as well as some local outdoor weeds but if I have to trick some correct healthy food into her with a bit of salad I say that’s a win

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I just started my Tortoise on this new food called Arcadia Optimized52, she loved it for the first two days but has now gone off it

Today I decided to try and trick her, I got all the Optimized weeds and flowers and wrapped them into bits of salad to create a salad burrito

I don’t like feeding store bought food but it all went down nicely with the salad, she’s as stubborn as an ox so if I stop feeding her salad she will just stop eating all together

Do any of you use any special feeding tricks for stubborn babies and have any of you tried this new feed and what did you think?
Tortoises do not like change. They don't usually recognize new foods as "food", even when the new foods are excellent tortoise foods. It takes time and effort to introduce any new food.

I like to chop up the torts favorite greens and wet them. Then I finely mince up a tiny tiny portion of the new stuff and thoroughly mix it into the pile. There should only be a few tiny flecks of the new stuff stuck to the favorite greens. Over time, I add more and more of the new stuff until the new stuff becomes familiar and is recognized as food. It can take weeks or months.