2 Year old Hermann Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amyfranklin20

5 Year Member
Hi there,
Im slightly confused as to what is right and wrong to feed my little hermann!
At the moment i am feeding him live salad (Not iceberg) But i have cut down on this as ive heard you get few nutrients in lettuce leaves.
I am currently feeding him pak choi, romaine, watercress, occasionally i add shredded carrot but he doesnt like that as much as the rest. I add in a dandelion when i can find one too.
I also sprinkle his food with Calcium and Multi vitamins 2 times a week.

Ive read up so much on diets but they are all different!!! And half the stuff recommended i cant even find/dont even know what it is!

I dont have many plants in the garden nor do i have many places to plant things, i only have 1 patch of grass which is in his outside run.

Id just like some advice on diets, id like to expand it but im so unsure what is right and wrong! I also heard broccoli? But havnt fed him any yet as im unsure.
Ive had many responses from americans but im in the UK so either they dont have some of the stuff here or its different names, im lost!

Help would be much appreciated :)! Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Diet for a 2 year old Hermann's is really the same as it is for a younger or older Hermann's tortoises as well as most other Testudo species. Diet isn't really age dependant with them.
Their diet should consist of a good quality, constantly varied diet that can consist of the following wild weeds: Dandelion, clover, broad & narrow leaf plantain, sow thistle, chicory, lambsquarter, vetches (especially crown vetch), alfalfa and other weeds that are known to be non-toxic. If weeds are not available, or when they're not available during winter months the diet can consist of grocery store greens such as: Dandelion, chicory, endive, escarole, kale, beet greens, mustard greens, collard greens, arugula, carrot tops, romaine and occasionally some green & red leaf lettuce and spinach.
As well as diet consisting of about 80-85% of the above listed greens the following vegetables can be fed: squashes, pumpkin, sweet potato, green & yellow beens, peas and occasionally some corn.
With a good varied diet the only supplement really needed is calcium carbonate. In should be available for consumption, seperate from foods at all times. For small tortoises powdered calcium in a small shallow dish that is easily accessible will work. For adults, broken pieces of cuttlebone work well. Individual tortoises will consume different amounts of calcium at different periods of growth and in different season based on their individual needs. It is for this reason that offering it seperately rather than coating foods with it is a better solution to making it available.

Status
Not open for further replies.