Traveling with the torts

Acadia

Hello everybody!

I'm soon traveling from Wisconsin to Colorado. It's about a 20 hour drive. Can anybody give me some tips on how to keep the torts as comfortable as possible during the drive? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

M

Maggie Cummings

use a box with a lid, put in newspapers and bring paper towels, keep torts in the dark, they will mostly sleep. if you stop in a motel, bring'em in and water them. put them under a black lightbulb for warmth...them back in the dark box. if they are babies. fill a mayo jar with hot water, wrap in a towel, put next to baby. dark box and warmth, will makem'em sleep

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If you are a travelling with mature Greeks or Russians, or any other species that can hibernate, then I would keep them cool. A long journey like that will be less stressful if they are inactive. There really is no need to worry if it is for a very shirt periid of time. Young torts are another matter entirely.

Acadia

They are red footed torts about a year and a half old. Thank you very much for the advice. They don't hibernate, but seem much more inactive when it is cooler vs warmer.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I would be more cautious with non hibernating species. They will be inactive when cooler because they are cold blooded, but I don't know enough about red foots to say it 7s safe for that period of time.

NicoleMarie

5 Year Member
i recently did some traveling with mine. i used a plastic storage box with coco fiber dirt mixture and moss. poked some holes in it near the lid. i set it behind the drivers seat out of direct sunlight and wrapped it with a blanket that was knitted so many holes in it. it helped so it wouldnt move around much. mine was a 22 hr drive and he did great. just checked on him every hour or so.