Traveling with my redfoot tortoise

Madlyn

Location (City and/or State)
Crystal Lake
I will be traveling in Spring of 2024. I am going to Tennessee. I have never traveled with a tortoise and I want to be prepared and make it comfortable for my tortoise. I figure it will take two days. I will be stopping to get sleep and need to know how to treat my tortoise. Your advice will be appreciated.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Best way for a tortoise is to stay safe at home and not travel.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One of the ways we often reccomend to treat a constipated tortoise is to take them on a short trip in your car.
They hate it. And they start pooping.
Bring as large of a plastic tote as you can. (Plastic because it'll be easy to wipe clean) Some dog pee pee pads (Because they're cheap and very absorbent) and an aerosol or liquid spray cleaner and at least 2 rolls of paper towels. Small garbage bags. One tray for soaking at the motel or rest area.
The tortoise will eventually settle down a little but will almost certainly get a bit dehydrated. And the tort may or may not want to eat. But if he/she drinks, it won't be a big issue.
I can't imagine going on a several days trip in a car smelling of tortoise poop.
I'd recommend trying to find a way to keep him/her home.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am very guilty of doing this. I have traveled with giant tort species and some box turtles. I simply set them up in dark closed boxes...You drive 7 or 8 hours a day and you will be there...I love road trips...and the best thing you can do is keep them dark and closed up...soak in the motel and put in the dark box...don't allow him to walk around the room...I would soak in the bathtub not a tray...:)

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
Best way for a tortoise is to stay safe at home and not travel.
Not helpful
I am very guilty of doing this. I have traveled with giant tort species and some box turtles. I simply set them up in dark closed boxes...You drive 7 or 8 hours a day and you will be there...I love road trips...and the best thing you can do is keep them dark and closed up...soak in the motel and put in the dark box...don't allow him to walk around the room...I would soak in the bathtub not a tray...:)
Thank you very much.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If I absolutely had to travel with my tortoise, then of course make him as comfortable and safe as I know how. But, again, and being truthful again for the sake of anyone who may not realise it: if you can, leave him with someone you know and trust and go on the trip without him.

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
If I absolutely had to travel with my tortoise, then of course make him as comfortable and safe as I know how. But, again, and being truthful again for the sake of anyone who may not realise it: if you can, leave him with someone you know and trust and go on the trip without him.
It won't just be a trip but I am moving to Tennessee. I would rather bring him with.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Tammy. You don't have to go on, ok? Just chill already.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
It won't just be a trip but I am moving to Tennessee. I would rather bring him with.
It would be best to clarify details like this in your initial post. There is lots of folks that ask this question because they just think their tort needs a vacation. To that end keep the tort as comfortable as you can on your trip. And good luck with the move.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Traveling to a new location. If you can, have the new habitat & enclosure all set up & dialed in. Correct lighting, temps, etc.

Probably beyond your scope to get a new enclosure all set up. So, just provide a good soaking before you depart, a good safe container during travel. Temperatures are important. Not too hot or cold.

How large/old is your tort?

good luck

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
Toot, tortoise's name, is 7 years old. I believe he is at full growth which is very manageable.

Madlyn

Crystal Lake
One of the ways we often reccomend to treat a constipated tortoise is to take them on a short trip in your car.
They hate it. And they start pooping.
Bring as large of a plastic tote as you can. (Plastic because it'll be easy to wipe clean) Some dog pee pee pads (Because they're cheap and very absorbent) and an aerosol or liquid spray cleaner and at least 2 rolls of paper towels. Small garbage bags. One tray for soaking at the motel or rest area.
The tortoise will eventually settle down a little but will almost certainly get a bit dehydrated. And the tort may or may not want to eat. But if he/she drinks, it won't be a big issue.
I can't imagine going on a several days trip in a car smelling of tortoise poop.
I'd recommend trying to find a way to keep him/her home.
I am moving to Tennessee so I won't leave him behind.