TORTOISES IN PET STORE NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieeNicolee

5 Year Member
There's a local pet store that's doing a severe disservice to 5 tortoises and I want to post more details so someone can help them 3 are barely juvenile, probably hatchlings kept in a bone dry enclosure with no hides and bone dry lettuce for food

There is also one older sulcata showing signs of pyramiding as well as one red foot with much more pyramiding and those two are stuck in a 10 gallon together I have pictures

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Where to post this??

One thing you can do is to copy some of the care sheets from the forum. Go talk to the manager and explain to them, that the old dry way of housing tortoise is not the right, healthy way. Explain the right way to him/her and let them know about TFO. You can also offer your help, in getting the housing correct. Also, explain why different species should not be housed together. Then also hand them the care sheets. If you do this in a caring concern way, they may just listen and make changes. Let them know your concern is for them as well as the tortoises. Let them know also, it won't really cost more, but will make a big difference in the health and well being of the animals. Keep us posted and let us know if there is anything else we can do.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I thought it wasn't legal in the US to sell tortoises under 4"?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well.. lets hope they sell fast and get out of there.. but in the mean time see if you can educate the store...

MaggieeNicolee

5 Year Member
I'm just 18 they will hardly listen to me.. Those baby sulcatas are from the same batch as mine and they haven't grown at all and they just do not look healthy

Mine has grown and he's a healthy baby

This is the red foot and sulcata

The red foot

The sulcata

The babies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't sell yourself short. You have to try. The tortoises can't help themselves. We are the only voice animals have. 18 is considered and adult. They should respect you as one. They may even respect you more for speaking up and caring. You can do this and we are all here to help you as much as we can. Even if you at least print out some care sheets and ask them if they could please read them and make some small changes, it would help the tortoises a lot.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Those are expensive hatchlings!

At least they have water, thats better than I've seen in some petstores...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
OR...you can give me the phone number of the pet store. I'll try to help them see that what they're doing is actual cruel. I'll first get their fax number, then try and convince them that it would be in their best interest to provide adequate care for these torts.

MaggieeNicolee said:
I'm just 18 they will hardly listen to me.. Those baby sulcatas are from the same batch as mine and they haven't grown at all and they just do not look healthy

Mine has grown and he's a healthy baby

This is the red foot and sulcata

The red foot

The sulcata

The babies

MaggieeNicolee

5 Year Member
This is their number 817-753-7030 they are central time should I still go in? Which care sheets should I bring if I do

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Remember that getting the torts out of there will help these guys in particular, but if the pet store doesn't learn the proper methods their next batch of torts will be in just as bad of shape.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Tom has care sheets for sulcatas. For redfoots, you may have to do a search on the forum unless one of the mods have something. Print it out and give it to them. It may be more convenient for you to give them the forum's website, but then they may not take the time to go through searching for it. I'd bring a copy and give them the website too. I'm on central time, and will call them tomorrow since it's getting late now. Thanks for the number.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look here for Redfoot http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/ You can copy only what they can actually apply.
I would go in. Calling them will do nothing. Them seeing that you spent your time to do the research and bring it in to them and to talk to them in person, will have a much bigger effect. Good luck. You will feel better doing it. If you let them know you will check back to see if they have any new questions for you, they may make the changes. Then make at least one visit back to see how they have done. If they doesn't make any changes, at least you tried and can feel good that you didn't turn a blind eye on them.

MaggieeNicolee

5 Year Member
But what if I try and they just don't get sold? :(

I would feel like I need to buy them, and I don't have the funds or proper enclosures, I would be just as bad.. I only just got my system set up properly for one baby

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unfortunately we can't save them all. But we can try. If you can get them to make some changes for the torts, they will be better off, then they are now. That's a big thing. You not being able to by them does not make you bad, or as bad as them. No one would expect or want you to take on more then you can do. We just want you to help educate the owners, so maybe the torts can have a better life while in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.