Pet store help

Kikwi

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Hey, I recently went to look in my local pet store here in texas and i saw a russian tortoise that was maybe 3-4 inches big or at the most 5 inches. i really want him because hes a fair price (100$ since i get a discount for having a rewards card thing) but i dont know if pet store tortoises are healthy or wild. at the same time i feel kinda bad for the guy and if he is unhealthy that kinda makes me want him more because what if he doesnt like the way hes beeing treated? he seems like a baby, not a hatchling probibally a couple months old if not a year. should i get him? i would also have to buy or make an enclosure and buy things like a setup for uvb bulbs and hiding places and what not since i havent had a tortoise before so i'd be starting fresh. Also hes alone in the little enclosure at the pet store.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Pet stores usually have wild caught tortoises. At that size, he is several years old. Research what you actually need before buying from the pet store. They will sell you the wrong stuff. The enclosure needs to be 4X8 feet at least. Orchids bark is the best substrate. Do not buy a coil type UVB build. These can cause eye damage. Don't buy their expensive food and water dishes. Terra cotta plant saucers work best. The disk thermometer and humidity gauges are junk. Get a digital one. Heat pads are no good for tortoises. Those are the pet store pit falls off the top of my head.

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
do you think hes good to buy though? and if you had to guess what age do you think he is? also i can go much much bigger but while he is still this young do you think a 10 or 20 gallon fish tank could house him until i get a better enclosure?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
do you think hes good to buy though? and if you had to guess what age do you think he is? also i can go much much bigger but while he is still this young do you think a 10 or 20 gallon fish tank could house him until i get a better enclosure?

10-20 gallons? Definitely not. Pet stores in the US typically carry adult Russians. They need a lot of space.

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
10-20 gallons? Definitely not. Pet stores in the US typically carry adult Russians. They need a lot of space.
i feel like really getting him then, hes in a tiny enclsoure at the store and my oranda goldfish's 20 gallon tank is MUCH bigger hes obviously being neglected :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises are a small species and businesses can't sell tortoises under four inches in length. By the time a russian tortoise reaches 4" he's about 5 or 6 years old, and the wild caught ones that the pet stores sell are usually 8 to 10 years old, or almost full grown. An aquarium of any size would be way too small for a wild caught Russian tortoise to live in.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is easy to build an enclosure. Check out the enclosure section. Big tubs, stock tanks several attached, bookshelf tipped over.... Lots of options, but a tank won't work.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I would suggest looking at the Russian tort care sheet here on the site...it's got some great info on general care, enclosure, diet, etc. Before you make your decision.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get info given. However, if you can't give him what he needs, but only a little better then what he already has, then it might be best to leave him for someone that can give him a proper enclosure. If you can give him what he needs then go with your gut. I don't really like buying from pet stores, it justifies them selling animals that they should not sel. On the other hand, unless laws are changed they won't stop anyway. Good luck

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
I agree with you, i will give him a huge section of my backyard if i need to i just font know too much and i know that russian tortoise are ussually kept at home so i was just wondering what people ussually keep them in, and i dont want to support them selling them the way they do but at the same time i want to get the kittle guy away from them :(

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
A 4'x8' enclosure is recommended for keeping an adult Russian indoors, but outdoors is preferable.
do you think squirrels would bother him? i get squirrels occasionally in my back yard and also hes still pretty little, would he get lost even if i fenced off a little part for him and would he dig out of the fence?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Squirrels wont. rats and raccoons might. Also neighborhood dogs and stray children.:)
Are you handy making things or do you know someone that is? fencing would be a poor choice. Russians can dig and they can climb.
Look through the enclosures here that people use for Russians and see if you can get any ideas.
It would probably be a good idea to keep one so small inside most of the time unti he/she gets larger.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
The squirrels in my garden are awful. They dig up plants and topple over pots in their quest to hide their winter food. I have had to cover most of my tortoise plants with chicken wire or else I'll find holes with peanuts! I think someone in my neighborhood is supplying the peanuts. :(

Mac1967

Hampstead, NC
The squirrels in my garden are awful. They dig up plants and topple over pots in their quest to hide their winter food. I have had to cover most of my tortoise plants with chicken wire or else I'll find holes with peanuts! I think someone in my neighborhood is supplying the peanuts. :(
I had the same problem, I set traps up and released them far away. So far it worked out ok.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have seven female russian tortoises that came from petco and all were and still are healthy. Most stores guarantee their tortoises for at least a couple weeks with a vet visit if necessary. I have two males and four other females that didn't come from petco and they are all healthy and doing fine also, I wouldn't be afraid of getting a pet store tortoise if it seems to be healthy.

AnimalLady

If you're trying to set something up fast and cheap, cinder blocks work well, stack them up 2 high and make him a good size home. Make sure to use something for the floor, Russians dig, and dig very well. They're also climbers and crazy scary escape artists!

I have a Russian adult tort that I got from the petstore, he was housed with like 6 other torts and I felt so bad for him. He was in about a 20 gallon tank I would say, when I got him I wanted him to have as much space as I could, and from all the reading ive done, i learned that Russians do really well outside and prefer it if your climate is suitable. my guy is healthy, and happy. never had any problems.

axeman25

Central Michigan
Please do your research on here first and make sure you can take proper care of it. I'd hate to see it for from bad to.....just as bad. They are great little characters, I have five of them. You can buy a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote for around 20 bucks to use as an enclosure for now. You'll need substrate (I prefer coco coir), a uvb light (not the coil or cfl type), and a heat light. I would recommend getting a MVB bulb that is a combo heat/uvb bulb. If you feel you can provide it a better home then I say go for it and good luck with it. The people here are great for honest advise so keep asking questions.

Kikwi

Houston, Texas
Please do your research on here first and make sure you can take proper care of it. I'd hate to see it for from bad to.....just as bad. They are great little characters, I have five of them. You can buy a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote for around 20 bucks to use as an enclosure for now. You'll need substrate (I prefer coco coir), a uvb light (not the coil or cfl type), and a heat light. I would recommend getting a MVB bulb that is a combo heat/uvb bulb. If you feel you can provide it a better home then I say go for it and good luck with it. The people here are great for honest advise so keep asking questions.
Ok thank you, im still pondering over this guy but no matter what ill use this setup for a tortoise since it seem good and cheaper, i really want this guy but im also thinking that what if i make a mistake and dont get a hatchling since they may become cheaper on cyber monday, i know of atleast one website thats going to have deals for torts on cyber monday