pet store

RebeccaEirian

Location (City and/or State)
cardiff, Wales, Uk
Hi,
I've been reading forum comments and I've seen some mention of tortoises from pet stores being shy, unhealthy and possibly having parasites?

My little guy is from a pet store. How do I know if he's unwell/ had parasites?

Also I've seen a few people say their tortoise was shy, but has now gotten used to them. I've had brock since December and he's just as shy now as when I had him- possibly more shy! What the best way to overcome this?

Thanks for your help!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hi,
I've been reading forum comments and I've seen some mention of tortoises from pet stores being shy, unhealthy and possibly having parasites?

My little guy is from a pet store. How do I know if he's unwell/ had parasites?

Also I've seen a few people say their tortoise was shy, but has now gotten used to them. I've had brock since December and he's just as shy now as when I had him- possibly more shy! What the best way to overcome this?

Thanks for your help!
Welcome! Hope you like it here :D To tell if he's sick just look for normal disease symptoms, if he looks fine don't worry! If you believe he might have parasites then you can get a fecal test, if he's shy it's not anything dangerous... I can hand feed mine, can you? It makes a positive human association, Good luck :D

RebeccaEirian

cardiff, Wales, Uk
No:( i used to be able to but then I went away for a week (six months ago!) And he hasn't let me since. He just kinda sniffs at it and walks passed me.

Yeah he seems fine, I've only Google basics though like shells/eye brightness. Wasn't until today i knew about parasites! I better get googling lol

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
No:( i used to be able to but then I went away for a week (six months ago!) And he hasn't let me since. He just kinda sniffs at it and walks passed me.

Yeah he seems fine, I've only Google basics though like shells/eye brightness. Wasn't until today i knew about parasites! I better get googling lol
Try it with his favorite treats while he's next to you in his enclosure... Good luck! :D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
To hand feed you have to place the food a good distance in front of them, otherwise, they will try to escape the food. I had the same issues you are having until I backed the food up about 4 - 5 inches from the tortoise. Now three of my four will take food from me. I started with hibiscus flowers which they absolutely love.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
To hand feed you have to place the food a good distance in front of them, otherwise, they will try to escape the food. I had the same issues you are having until I backed the food up about 4 - 5 inches from the tortoise. Now three of my four will take food from me. I started with hibiscus flowers which they absolutely love.
My Greek is doing A LOT better at me touching him, if I try to pet him he just moves his head back a little and I get to pet his nose and a small part of what's behind it... I started petting him while hand feeding, and I got major improvements :D

RebeccaEirian

cardiff, Wales, Uk
Thanks for the advice guys! I will start trying it a further away and sneaking a pet! Never tried him on hibiscus either, so il have a look for that too:)