Tortoises Confiscated from Hoarder In Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Yesterday in Phoenix, AZ many animals were confiscated from a woman who was hoarding animals. The news said she had 11 tortoises among them and they panned a shot of the tortoises. They appeared to be adult leopards, at least the 6 or 8 that I could see. Apparently they were taken to shelters, but I have no further information.

Actually, I think her address was Scottsdale, AZ.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep us posted if you hear any more on the torts or the other animals. I wish animal boarders realized that they are not really doing the animals any good, even though their intentions are good.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
wellington said:
Keep us posted if you hear any more on the torts or the other animals. I wish animal boarders realized that they are not really doing the animals any good, even though their intentions are good.

Okay, I will. I was thinking that if anyone wants adult leopards they may come available through the organization that seized them. Usually the only ones for adoption are sulcatas and desert torts.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
They looked like leos to me too. The dogs looked pretty bad, but the tortoises didn't look bad - very little pyramiding.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Could you tell what sort of shape they were in from the quick camera shot? I hope they can recover and find great homes "if" they were in poor shape! Its so hard for those people to tell the difference between what's right for the animals they keep, and what there heart is telling them is right. Most just need a little help in that area. But I think they mean well it just gets out of control. Nobody is perfect. Altho I don't think hoarding is a good idea no matter what.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What disturbs me is how well are the animal control officials now caring for those tortoises and snakes? For a place concerned with animal welfare, they often have no idea how to care for reptiles and are actually the cruelest keepers. Sorry I just have seen too many times, when these kinds of places have labeled others as abusive, when their own standards leave much to be desired. Major problem is they fail to provide necessary heat. and then on down to other needs not being met. This is not to say, this woman did not need some help. Does not sound like they were kind enough to try working with this woman. :(

EricIvins

5 Year Member
So what defines "hoarding"?........

As a Breeder/Keeper/Collector, I find this quite disturbing........At this point I'm rebuilding my collection - So I can have someone try and take my animals away just because I have more than the "average"? Everyone has their own definition of "hoarding", however most don't really understand what the term means.......Scary stuff.......

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
That's what humane societies do - Humanely Euthanize. Their main job is to dispose of unwanted animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
EricIvins said:

Its usually because the animals are not being cared for...feces all over the place, smells like urine in the house, sick dogs and cats, etc. As long as you take good care of your animals and clean up after them and feed them, it wouldn't be a problem.

From the pictures in this story, it looked like the tortoises were ok, but the dogs were not being cared for or picked up after.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A little OT but I have always considered the humane society, ASPCA, PETA as orgs. that take your money and put down animals anyways, I like how the article stated " scruffy was never intended to be put down" I call BS on that statement.

I would also like to know what people define as hoarding, personally I consider it a care issue and not a numbers issue.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
yagyujubei said:
That's what humane societies do - Humanely Euthanize. Their main job is to dispose of unwanted animals.

Is it humane to place into a cart sometimes up to 15 dogs and puppies who may have spent a day in a cage in a room with a hot crematory running, a cage so small it could not stand up, move around, or sit with nothing to drink, and then place that cart filled with animals into a camber, where death is not instantaneous? Where some times those still half a live animals are tossed into a burning crematory? Tell me what part of that is humane?

Is it right to tell folks give us a donation and we will find your animals homes, only to take them directly back to that cremation room? Or to use the term "We are going to "farm" your animals with "farm" meaning kill them?

All these are things I routinely saw or had to do (along with other things that haunt me), when I worked for a Humane Society.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
emysemys said:
EricIvins said:

Its usually because the animals are not being cared for...feces all over the place, smells like urine in the house, sick dogs and cats, etc. As long as you take good care of your animals and clean up after them and feed them, it wouldn't be a problem.

From the pictures in this story, it looked like the tortoises were ok, but the dogs were not being cared for or picked up after.

This concerns me too. I agree that these dogs were not being cared for, but I get concerned that I might be considered a "hoarder" as well because I have more than "average." Even though all my cats are up to date with vaccinations, well fed, and cared for, I have more than my city allows. I get scared that they could come in and take them. There are no laws as to how many reptiles one can have in my city, but I still am careful to not advertise what I have, lest I be called a hoarder. (By the way, as soon as I saw that article, I went out and cleaned all my pens extra well today. :) )

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
EricIvins said:

Our local Sheriff, once told me that having one dog and two cats was the "only thing considered normal" more then that and you become a hoarder. Plus it depends on what your "hoarding", cats and dogs are "pets", so they have a stricter level of care then pigs and cattle.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
[

Our local Sheriff, once told me that having one dog and two cats was the "only thing considered normal" more then that and you become a hoarder. Plus it depends on what your "hoarding", cats and dogs are "pets", so they have a stricter level of care then pigs and cattle.

[/quote]

Seriously??? I have NEVER had less than 5 or 6 pets of various types in my life! God knows what they would make of me........

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
kimber_lee_314 said:
This concerns me too. I agree that these dogs were not being cared for, but I get concerned that I might be considered a "hoarder" as well because I have more than "average." Even though all my cats are up to date with vaccinations, well fed, and cared for, I have more than my city allows. I get scared that they could come in and take them. There are no laws as to how many reptiles one can have in my city, but I still am careful to not advertise what I have, lest I be called a hoarder. (By the way, as soon as I saw that article, I went out and cleaned all my pens extra well today. :) )

It's sad that we have to live with that fear at the back of our minds, isn't it? I see a Sheriff's vehicle in town and my mind does a fast check of what chores are done for the day and how many hours ago were they done. There is always that first immediate fear.

bubbles01 said:
[

Seriously??? I have NEVER had less than 5 or 6 pets of various types in my life! God knows what they would make of me........
[/quote]

Totally and completely serious, that is an actual quote. :(

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Jacqui said:
What disturbs me is how well are the animal control officials now caring for those tortoises and snakes? For a place concerned with animal welfare, they often have no idea how to care for reptiles and are actually the cruelest keepers. Sorry I just have seen too many times, when these kinds of places have labeled others as abusive, when their own standards leave much to be desired. Major problem is they fail to provide necessary heat. and then on down to other needs not being met. This is not to say, this woman did not need some help. Does not sound like they were kind enough to try working with this woman. :(

You are so right! In most of these places the ones taking care of the animals are volunteers that have no clue.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is that picture of the torts where they are now? or where they were?
rabbit pellets, dry hay and some sort of pellet in a bowl... I hope they get out of their quick.. but they are evidence
and may need to be held unless the owner signs them over or gets them back...

Status
Not open for further replies.