Surplus of tame tortoises an Arizona wildlife crisis

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Organized records...ahh the key phrase....I know here in California, the record keeping system is not good.
No wonder this crisis started, some people may have had more than one. Then life happened, they had to give them back... I think if people who owned 2-3 desert tortoises returned them, these tortoises will be flooding into rescues and shelters. Am I assuming too much?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Then life happened, they had to give them back

This is the bigger problem, in my opinion. Now days, folks just don't seem to commit to responsibility like it means something...."oh life changes, so I am done with the tortoise, oh but I can give it back".....

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
This is the bigger problem, in my opinion. Now days, folks just don't seem to commit to responsibility like it means something...."oh life changes, so I am done with the tortoise, oh but I can give it back".....
There are thousands of solutions to their problems. Lets admit it, most people are near-sighted when it comes to problem solving.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At least they're not euthanizing them like that other place we read about a couple months ago. I think that one was in Las Vegas, wasn't it?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
At least they're not euthanizing them like that other place we read about a couple months ago. I think that one was in Las Vegas, wasn't it?
Really?!?! Thats crazy! These are threatened tortoise :( I cant understand why they would do that... There are hundreds who would want that tortoise. I would love to have a desert tortoise (if it were possible)...