natalieheart123

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello!

I have a 5 year old russian tortoise in need of an upgrade. would a 150cm x 60cm enclosure be big enough? we have limited space but i do want the best for him.
I also need heating and lighting recommendations, i usually use a 12% tube and a heat emitter.
Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Minimum is a 4x8 foot. They may be small but they cover a lot if ground in the wild.
Some people build a second level to get enough room.
A tube florescent for uvb and a che is good for lighting and heat but you do need a basking bulb. A regular incandescent or a spot light will do.
Basking 95-100
All over temps for day 75-80 and nights can drop into the 60's.

natalieheart123

London
Minimum is a 4x8 foot. They may be small but they cover a lot if ground in the wild.
A tube florescent for uvb and a che is good for lighting and heat but you do need a basking bulb. A regular incandescent or a spot light will do.
Basking 95-100
thank you!

KaiWithRussian

Florida
Basking 95-100
And what habitat do you use or recommend? Like a brand or built by hand or what?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Build your own. There isn't a premade big enough.
The basking bulb should be a flood bulb, not spot bulb.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I agree with building by hand, but if you can't do that, and can afford it, you can string together 5-6 of pre built "tortoise houses" that are all over Amazon. They aren't great b/c they may rot, but that could work in a pinch. But you are better off finding an old bookcase, putting it on its back and adapting it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!

I have a 5 year old russian tortoise in need of an upgrade. would a 150cm x 60cm enclosure be big enough? we have limited space but i do want the best for him.
I also need heating and lighting recommendations, i usually use a 12% tube and a heat emitter.
Thank you!
Good advice so far. I agree that they need at least 122x244cm.

Give this a read through, and there is a heating and lighting breakdown, plus a temperate species care sheet at the bottom: