Enclosure size

AlexaWillams01

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh
Hello I’m taking in a russian tortoise this weekend because my family member can no longer care for her tortoise properly and I’m just wondering what size vivarium should I get? The one she has her in now is 48” X 18” but I think I need to upgrade.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
What size/how old is the tortoise?

If she's still young, she could do well in a viv 48" X 24".
If she's an adult, she could go into a tortoise table. The minimum recommended size is 8ft X 4ft.

Always, the bigger, the better.

Here's our care sheet for Russians. It will be helpful for you.

AlexaWillams01

Edinburgh
What size/how old is the tortoise?

If she's still young, she could do well in a viv 48" X 24".
If she's an adult, she could go into a tortoise table. The minimum recommended size is 8ft X 4ft.

Always, the bigger, the better.

Here's our care sheet for Russians. It will be helpful for you.

We don’t have an exact age but we believe her to be 5 to 6 years old also I’m not too sure about her living outside because we have a lot of predators

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We don’t have an exact age but we believe her to be 5 to 6 years old also I’m not too sure about her living outside because we have a lot of predators
Everyone everywhere in the world has predators around outside. You can make the enclosure in such a way as to keep predators out and away from your tortoise. They can be outside in a large enclosure during the day and brought in at night. Or you can have a temperature controlled shelter in the outdoor enclosure and make sure the tortoise is securely locked up at night.