Daddy_alpaca

Location (City and/or State)
Pasadena
Heloo, just to be quick i have a russian tortoise who is about 4 or 5 years old and the enclosure i have for him is way too small, its about 4 x 3 feet, and i really want to upgrade him to a bigger enclosure. Ive heard people say that the ideal size is about 4x8, i dont mind the size however money is tight right now so i was wondering if anyone knows a way to get a cheap inclosure or if theres a way for me to diy it myself while still saving money. Any kind of advice is appreciated thx!!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Heloo, just to be quick i have a russian tortoise who is about 4 or 5 years old and the enclosure i have for him is way too small, its about 4 x 3 feet, and i really want to upgrade him to a bigger enclosure. Ive heard people say that the ideal size is about 4x8, i dont mind the size however money is tight right now so i was wondering if anyone knows a way to get a cheap inclosure or if theres a way for me to diy it myself while still saving money. Any kind of advice is appreciated thx!!
Absolutely. You can't go wrong with pallets.
I've used them to build multiple enclosures, including my old russian tort enclosure.

Attachments

• 20220430_155616.jpg
    20220430_155616.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Absolutely. You can't go wrong with pallets.
I've used them to build multiple enclosures, including my old russian tort enclosure.
OMG, I just mentioned pallets to someone a few days ago. I never seen them mentioned before. So glad you used them. Lots of times one can get them free.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If it's for indoor use, a second hand, deep bookcase laid flat with shelves removed and lined with plastic - maybe a cheap shower curtain - could work You could use the shelves (and wood from pallets) to raise the sides and cap the edges to stop him climbing out. Russians are great climbers and escape artists so you need high sides to allow for depth of substrate.