Tortoise Supplies I got for my birthday

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
For

Thank you so much, I am using a temperature infrared gun from the brand Kizen, it seems to be very accurate. I used that same container again this afternoon after I arrived from school but with the CHE, and I have got so say I placed it about 15” from what would be substrate and my results were a lot better, right underneath it is 37 C and areas around it is 36 some inches away from the center is marked as 32 and the coldest part being the conner is sitting at 27, although when I sprayed water it quickly evaporated closer to the center, but it stayed in the conners, I had to throw it away myself. This bulb is so potent, I left it to cool on the dome itself for well over 20 mintues it was still even emmiting heat, this can be potent fire hazard so we must be careful with it.
We have been thinking about making our decision and although I personally do find the leopard tortoise to be prettier in terms of pattern, it just might be too big for us as we do live in a colder part of the country and cannot keep them yea round outside although we plan on moving south in a couple years, we originally were thinking to get a cherry head as they are smaller than red-foots but quite frankly I dont think I can keep up with the humidity demand for them even in a closed space. I could not get much past 80% on my last enclosure without making the substrate a complete swamp.
For those reasons I think we will be choosing a Eastern Herman's.
Because of our previous tortoise we would like to buy a tortoise that is around the yearling and above stage, but the issue that we have is that a lot of older tortoises are wild caught, and we abosultely do not want to beither contribute or allow inside our homes an animal that God knows where it has been and what kind of disease it might have.
We recently heard about a pet shop from Florida that guarantee the heath for their reptiles called Imperial Reptiles, they have all kinds of listing, including Hermanns, but they been marked as sold for months, I’ve been taking a look at their website for well over a year and the only time they add reptiles to their website is around May and June which my guess is when they hatch.
Well... not all wild caught have those types of diseases but they still may need rescued. That's the way I look at it when you get one in that manner. S/he's A rescue just the same. They are out there even if we don't help them or do 🤗

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
Well... not all wild caught have those types of diseases but they still may need rescued. That's the way I look at it when you get one in that manner. S/he's A rescue just the same. They are out there even if we don't help them or do 🤗
As much as I would like to help and seriosuly feel bad for them as they should be living their lives in their natural habitat, I dont know what I woukd do if I lost another tortoise.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I
As much as I would like to help and seriosuly feel bad for them as they should be living their lives in their natural habitat, I dont know what I woukd do if I lost another tortoise.
I feel the same but I didn't lose mine. He wouldn't have probably made it if I had sent him back to the seller. I don't condone buying a tortoise the way I did but I didn't have TFO 15 years ago for advice. So I bought my little Russian and kept him. Holey shell and all. I still have him. He didn't have parasites he had a lack of habitat and probably that goes way back to where he came from. I don't feel guilty at all for keeping him. He wouldn't have made it in the wild either. It's a subject as broad as it is long. I even still have Tortoise nightmares. All that does is make me take a closer look at what I'm doing now since I found TFO for advice 🤗 ☺️

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
I

I feel the same but I didn't lose mine. He wouldn't have probably made it if I had sent him back to the seller. I don't condone buying a tortoise the way I did but I didn't have TFO 15 years ago for advice. So I bought my little Russian and kept him. Holey shell and all. I still have him. He didn't have parasites he had a lack of habitat and probably that goes way back to where he came from. I don't feel guilty at all for keeping him. He wouldn't have made it in the wild either. It's a subject as broad as it is long. I even still have Tortoise nightmares. All that does is make me take a closer look at what I'm doing now since I found TFO for advice 🤗 ☺️
I am so glad that your little guy is still with you, such a happy story. You didnt have to use any worm killers on it? I can’t imagine the nightmare that would be to make a wild caught eat our food. How did you make him comfortable and eat?

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
I

Also happy birthday, is today actually your birthday or did you put the wrong date like me?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Also happy birthday, is today actually your birthday or did you put the wrong date like me?
No I didn't put the wrong date 🤣 it was my birthday.🤪 another year older...😉😁 and today is another day I woke up. Woo hoo 🎈 yeah 👍

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I am so glad that your little guy is still with you, such a happy story. You didnt have to use any worm killers on it? I can’t imagine the nightmare that would be to make a wild caught eat our food. How did you make him comfortable and eat?
He's was sooo wanted so I just sat and watched him putting a few different things down to eat and gradually increased my handling of him . I took things slowly and never towered over him. Also I Just sat with him outside around growing dandelions and other plants. Eventually he started trying to stand up as tall as he can into the palm of my hand to get me to take him outside ☺️