Supplies for Beginner Tortoise Caretaker!

PrehistoricTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of getting a Red-Footed Tortoise and have been researching the supplies and care of a Red-Footed Tortoise. I am planning on getting the Rockever Tortoise House as the tortoise table. I know my tortoise would need a heat lamp and UVB & UVA lights. I have looked around on Amazon and Petco for these and there are many choices. Does anyone know the best heat lamps and UV lights? I'm new here and don't know what companies or supplies are best for my future tortoise. Any response is appreciated! Thanks, everyone!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Don't go with a tortoise table!! You need a closed chamber for your redfoot. ?
use a che on a thermostat for ambient day and night heat. For uvb you need a strip bulb. Don't get coil bulbs at all or those colored bulbs! And don't listen to petco or petsmart, etc. Here is my redfoor closed chamber for reference. This is 6ft x 3ft
20200814_070646.jpg
20200817_144507.jpg

PrehistoricTortoise

California
Don't go with a tortoise table!! You need a closed chamber for your redfoot. ?
use a che on a thermostat for ambient day and night heat. For uvb you need a strip bulb. Don't get coil bulbs at all or those colored bulbs! And don't listen to petco or petsmart, etc. Here is my redfoor closed chamber for reference. This is 6ft x 3ft
View attachment 304635
View attachment 304636
Glad I came here to ask! Would this 40-gallon terrarium do? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zilla-critter-cage

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
A grow tent is 4 times the size and only $20 more. Also please read the redfoot care guide and it will help you understand why size and humidity more so much. Where are you gonna get your redfoot from?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city

PrehistoricTortoise

California
A grow tent is 4 times the size and only $20 more. Also please read the redfoot care guide and it will help you understand why size and humidity more so much. Where are you gonna get your redfoot from?
Got it! Do you have a specific grow tent in mind? I'm scrolling through different choices and can't seem to find the right one. Also, what care guide are you referring too? I've read a few, but not sure if I've read the one you are talking about. I'm not sure where I am getting my redfoot from yet. I am planning on finding all of my supplies and getting it set up before finding where to get my redfoot. Thanks!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Got it! Do you have a specific grow tent in mind? I'm scrolling through different choices and can't seem to find the right one. Also, what care guide are you referring too? I've read a few, but not sure if I've read the one you are talking about. I'm not sure where I am getting my redfoot from yet. I am planning on finding all of my supplies and getting it set up before finding where to get my redfoot. Thanks!
I had a 2ft x 2ft x 4ft(on its side) to start my hatchling off, but if you have the room, the 3ft x 3ft x 6ft obviously will last a lot longer. You just have to make a few tweeks then your good to go. I got all my tents from Amazon because I had prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PK7J1XZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T8G2JFZ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I currently have the exact one thats listed in the 2nd link for both my babies.

And take a peek at this

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone,

I am thinking of getting a Red-Footed Tortoise and have been researching the supplies and care of a Red-Footed Tortoise. I am planning on getting the Rockever Tortoise House as the tortoise table. I know my tortoise would need a heat lamp and UVB & UVA lights. I have looked around on Amazon and Petco for these and there are many choices. Does anyone know the best heat lamps and UV lights? I'm new here and don't know what companies or supplies are best for my future tortoise. Any response is appreciated! Thanks, everyone!
You've been reading the wrong stuff.

Red foot tortoises are super cool, but Cali is the wrong environment for them. They need it warm and humid, not hot and dry. They usually don't do very well here as adults when they are ready to live outside. I'd consider other species.

Either way, you will need a closed chamber. Large open tables can work for some species of Testudo, but most of the tropical species will need a warm humid environment as a baby.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Regardless of what species you choose, the supply list is the same for most hatchlings.

So here you go...

1) A closed chamber of some kind

2) A basking bulb. An ordinary incandescent flood bulb is best. Try a 65 watt first.

3) A fluorescent tube type UVB bulb, along with the fixture to mount it. Check for length. Not needed if outdoors for an hour 3 or 4 times/week for most of the year. I like these...

4) A nighttime heat source...CHE or RHP.
https://www.tortoisesupply.com/HeatBulbs or

5) Ordinary appliance timer(s)

6) Thermostat

7) Temperature gun- any one will do
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

8) ceramic sockets for CHE and basking flood bulb

9) clay flower pot saucers (2) big enough for tort to get in

10) Substrate...orchid bark, coco coir, or cypress mulch

11) Humid hide...opaque plastic bin with door hole

12) Digital thermometer/hygrometer(s)

13) One (1) hatchling tortoise

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
For a Hatchling Redfoot Skip the tortoise house and get yourself a large plastic tub like thisScreenshot_20200430-193652~2.pngThen get a radiant heat panel and screw it into the lidpanel.jpgThen get a thermostat and hook your heat panel up to it and set it at the desired temperature 83-86F.61ROvGd9nFL._AC_SX450_.jpg

You can either use an LED light and bring your Tortoise outside for natural sun from time to time, or your can use an UVB light. Either one also screwed into the lid. Id recommend the LED and outside time.Screenshot_20200828-092616.png

Then add the substrate you choose, orchid bark or Cypress mulch work best, and food/water dish.

This setup would be your best bet for about the first year.

PrehistoricTortoise

California
You've been reading the wrong stuff.

Red foot tortoises are super cool, but Cali is the wrong environment for them. They need it warm and humid, not hot and dry. They usually don't do very well here as adults when they are ready to live outside. I'd consider other species.

Either way, you will need a closed chamber. Large open tables can work for some species of Testudo, but most of the tropical species will need a warm humid environment as a baby.
Would an Egyptian tortoise work for California weather/heat?

PrehistoricTortoise

California
For a Hatchling Redfoot Skip the tortoise house and get yourself a large plastic tub like thisView attachment 304661Then get a radiant heat panel and screw it into the lidView attachment 304662Then get a thermostat and hook your heat panel up to it and set it at the desired temperature 83-86F.View attachment 304665

You can either use an LED light and bring your Tortoise outside for natural sun from time to time, or your can use an UVB light. Either one also screwed into the lid. Id recommend the LED and outside time.View attachment 304664

Then add the substrate you choose, orchid bark or Cypress mulch work best, and food/water dish.

This setup would be your best bet for about the first year.
How large should a plastic tub be for a hatchling?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga