I don't have my supplies yet

FrankIinTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Could my Russian tortoise last until Wednesday in a big cardboard box with hay substrate, a water dish, and some Flukers Tortoise diet and greens? This is my second day owning a RT and I ordered all of its supplies when I came home with it. Its appropriate enclosure is arriving on Wednesday so I would like to know if my RT will be able to last until then. I do take him for a stroll in our backyard a couple times a day though. I can tell he is extremely stressed out because he is scratching the walls of the cardboard box for hours a day, I am extremely eager to put him in his new enclosure. He also sleeps for most of the day as well, I am pretty sure this is because of brumation/hibernation correct? Someone let me know soon, FranklinTheTortoise

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Could my Russian tortoise last until Wednesday in a big cardboard box with hay substrate, a water dish, and some Flukers Tortoise diet and greens? This is my second day owning a RT and I ordered all of its supplies when I came home with it. Its appropriate enclosure is arriving on Wednesday so I would like to know if my RT will be able to last until then. I do take him for a stroll in our backyard a couple times a day though. I can tell he is extremely stressed out because he is scratching the walls of the cardboard box for hours a day, I am extremely eager to put him in his new enclosure. He also sleeps for most of the day as well, I am pretty sure this is because of brumation/hibernation correct? Someone let me know soon, FranklinTheTortoise
Go to lowes and get the biggest Rubbermaid tote and a couple bags of cypress mulch. They even carry the ceramic base dome lights that you can put CHE's in. BTW what did you order and add pictures of your tort

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
I don't think I need to go to Lowes and spend that much money. It's only 2 days, and he's doing perfectly fine. I can't add pictures of him but he is 4 inches. He has a healthy plastron and shell, I even checked myself. I make sure to polish them. I ordered a Repti-Zoo Dual Dome Lamp Fixture (Already Came), 3 UVA + UVB bulbs (Already Came), 2 150W Heat Emitter Bulbs (Coming Tomorrow), Loose Coconut Fiber (Sadly Coming Dec 10-15), Cypress Mulch (Coming on the day of the enclosure, Wednesday) I'll be able to combine it with my hay substrate to give him some space to burrow. Flat Slate Rock to Feed Him and Let Him Bask (Already Came), Repti-Zoo Food/Water Dish (I use it as a water dish, Already Came), and finally his enclosure coming on Wednesday, Amazon.com: Wooden Reptile Habitat Tortoise House Indoor/ Outdoor, Safe Turtle Box with Wire Grate: Kitchen & Dining

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
Oh alright. Anyway, I just checked on my tortoise and he's been sleeping for a day straight now. I'm pretty sure thise is because hibernation/brumation right? Should I wake him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wish you had contacted us prior to spending so much money ordering supplies that really aren't right for an adult russian tortoise. I'm pretty sure you have the wrong bulbs, the wrong enclosure, the wrong light fixture, and too big of CHE and why 2?

Your russian tortoise is probably wild caught, and almost full grown. A full grown Russian tortoise won't be happy in one of those reptile house tort tables - it's just not big enough. The dual light fixture means you have to have two heat/light sources emanating from the same location instead of one at each end for better heat/light distribution. The light we recommend, the T5 UVB fluorescent light, never advertises it's also UVA, which makes me think you've got the wrong bulb.

Before you use any of these supplies, please read our care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
You may be able to return some of the items.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
He's still young. He's 4 inches. An adult russian tortoise is 8 inches. He's half the size of an adult RT. I doubt a RT from my local Petsmart is wildly caught. For the dual lamp fixture, I'll place one UVA bulb and one Heat bulb so the lamp fixture gives off both UVA and Heat. You're acting like I don't read reviews before purchasing a 100 dollar product. I read the reviews for every thing I got for Franklin. What do you mean by CHE? I'm not sure what led you to assume Franklins an adult but I can say one thing, stop assuming things.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I've made assumptions, but they're based on many many years of experience and reading many newbie posts who made the same mistakes you've made.

Your tortoise needs a good UVB light, not a UVA light.

In order for pet stores to LEGALLY sell tortoises the animal has to be 4" in a straight line front to back. A Russian tortoise that's 4" is generally about 6 to 8 years of age, or almost full grown.

Petsmart buys their stock from wholesalers and wholesalers sell wild caught tortoises.

I'm sorry I came across badly. I was only trying to help.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
So will the enclosure suit him or not? What does CHE mean? What do you mean by why two? Why is my RT constantly sleeping, is he going through brumation/hibernation? Also, the bulbs I got are UVB mostly and some UVA.

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
So will the enclosure suit him or not? What does CHE mean? What do you mean by why two? Why is my RT constantly sleeping, is he going through brumation/hibernation? Also, the bulbs I got are UVB mostly and some UVA.
The enclosure is too small. Also it is not a closed chamber which most people are recommending using today. If you bought it off Amazon as the link you posted suggests, you can cancel the order if it hasn't shipped yet or you have 30 days to return it if it has shipped already.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"2 150 watt heat emitter bulbs" I took this to mean Ceramic Heat Emitters, or CHE. Two of them at 150 watts each is pretty hot.

The enclosure is not big enough.

He's hiding because it's stressful for him to be in a brand new to him territory. When stressed a tortoise hides.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
"2 150 watt heat emitter bulbs" I took this to mean Ceramic Heat Emitters, or CHE. Two of them at 150 watts each is pretty hot.

The enclosure is not big enough.

He's hiding because it's stressful for him to be in a brand new to him territory. When stressed a tortoise hides.

Well, if you know a better enclosure on amazon go ahead. I know when a tortoise is stressed it hides I'm not dumb. I'm asking why my tortoise is sleeping so much and if its because hibernation or brumation. I took them being 150W each into account. All I have to do is be careful and use them correctly.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Well, if you know a better enclosure on amazon go ahead. I know when a tortoise is stressed it hides I'm not dumb. I'm asking why my tortoise is sleeping so much and if its because hibernation or brumation. I took them being 150W each into account. All I have to do is be careful and use them correctly.
You are quite defensive when asking for advice/opinions from people. One would think you would be more open to the suggestions given to you since you came here and asked for people to help you.

Since you just got the tortoise and it takes them a good amount of time to adjust to new surroundings (sometimes several weeks), it is hard to say if it is trying to hibernate or just trying to keep a low profile because it is shy, stressed, and scared. Taking it outside a couple of times a day is most likely just adding to its stress. I would recommend just leaving it alone and letting it get used to its new surroundings.

Also male Russian Tortoises are smaller than females as adults. If your tortoise is a male, it probably won't reach 8" as an adult, so it may be older at 4" or so than you think it is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, I see I'm not helping. I'll back out and let others respond to you.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
You are quite defensive when asking for advice/opinions from people. One would think you would be more open to the suggestions given to you since you came here and asked for people to help you.

Since you just got the tortoise and it takes them a good amount of time to adjust to new surroundings (sometimes several weeks), it is hard to say if it is trying to hibernate or just trying to keep a low profile because it is shy, stressed, and scared. Taking it outside a couple of times a day is most likely just adding to its stress. I would recommend just leaving it alone and letting it get used to its new surroundings.

Also male Russian Tortoises are smaller than females as adults. If your tortoise is a male, it probably won't reach 8" as an adult, so it may be older at 4" or so than you think it is.

Alright, thanks. I'm being defensive because I care about the well being of my tortoise.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Alright, thanks. I'm being defensive because I care about the well being of my tortoise.
That is not a good excuse, and if you really cared about the well-being of the tortoise, you would pay more heed to the people who have had tortoises more than 2 or 3 days.

If you search this forum you will find innumerable posts from newcomers just like you who have purchased the same wrong items for their tortoises. Very few of them act the way you have when given the information needed to make necessary corrections.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Lets all calm down (I don't mean to be offensive) and be nice to each other. The people here are intelligent and experienced and I think you should probably listen to them. I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing, but generally I think that the more experienced people know best. The cardboard box and stuff should be fine, and you can check out other posts to find out more info on UV and basking lights. Make sure that the enclosure is big enough (I'm sure it is with the amount of research you've done) and again, I would strongly suggest checking out other posts. This forum is for helping each other out, not pushing each other away even if you don't need help, so let's all be nice and help! Good luck to you and your tort and hopefully this helps out everyone.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
That is not a good excuse, and if you really cared about the well-being of the tortoise, you would pay more heed to the people who have had tortoises more than 2 or 3 days.

If you search this forum you will find innumerable posts from newcomers just like you who have purchased the same wrong items for their tortoises. Very few of them act the way you have when given the information needed to make necessary corrections.

You didn't do 48 hours of research though did you? I doubt I should be listening to a 74 year old anyway.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
You didn't do 48 hours of research though did you? I doubt I should be listening to a 74 year old anyway.
Please try to be a bit more respectful to these older tortoise keepers like @zovick and @Yvonne G. They have been breeding, raising, and caring for tortoises for probably longer than you have been alive, let alone 48 hrs. They have a lot of experience and are trying to help. They have been helpful to countless others needing help with husbandry.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth
Please try to be a bit more respectful to these older tortoise keepers like @zovick and @Yvonne G. They have been breeding, raising, and caring for tortoises for probably longer than you have been alive, let alone 48 hrs. They have a lot of experience and are trying to help. They have been helpful to countless others needing help with husbandry.

If someone is rude to me I have the right to return the favor, thanks.