Tortoise suddenly not moving?

Komplexvex

I had Mr.Chomps, a Russian Tortoise for about 2 years. He's been eating properly, regular soaking, and normal bowel movement. Recently, about two days ago, his legs swelled up and he was constipated. I soaked him for about 25 minutes and a hard poop came out, then soft poop came out. I was happy to see that his leg swelling did go down after that event. What confuses me is that yesterday morning he ate some spring mix and one grape tomato (which I rarely give him, maybe once a month). Then, at night he just stopped moving! He was totally unresponsive and limp. Im so upset that he is possibly dead. Yet, I have read some articles that he is possibly in hibernation, or he's in some sort of "coma". While he's in this state, I did soak him in warm water for about a half hour and I am currently leaving him under the heat lamp. I am also trying to see if I can get an urgent vet visit to happen tomorrow evening. How would I know he is dead? Is he dead? Did I do anything wrong? What could've happened if he is dead? If anyone has some info please let me know so I can at least get closure if he is in fact dead. Thank you guys.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I had Mr.Chomps, a Russian Tortoise for about 2 years. He's been eating properly, regular soaking, and normal bowel movement. Recently, about two days ago, his legs swelled up and he was constipated. I soaked him for about 25 minutes and a hard poop came out, then soft poop came out. I was happy to see that his leg swelling did go down after that event. What confuses me is that yesterday morning he ate some spring mix and one grape tomato (which I rarely give him, maybe once a month). Then, at night he just stopped moving! He was totally unresponsive and limp. Im so upset that he is possibly dead. Yet, I have read some articles that he is possibly in hibernation, or he's in some sort of "coma". While he's in this state, I did soak him in warm water for about a half hour and I am currently leaving him under the heat lamp. I am also trying to see if I can get an urgent vet visit to happen tomorrow evening. How would I know he is dead? Is he dead? Did I do anything wrong? What could've happened if he is dead? If anyone has some info please let me know so I can at least get closure if he is in fact dead. Thank you guys.

So hard to know why a tortoise passes....you have the option of a necropsy but even that may not offer final closure...legs suddenly swelling up does not just occur over night...but moreover likely a result of something coming on over time but then when such an advanced state then the symptoms appear and this is where the human suddenly can see something outward....once a tortoise or turtle has passed it will not take long to become apparent that the animal has passed....the animal will not suddenly hibernate, so that is likely not the scenario???

I am sorry that you are having to work through this.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In my limited experience, I can say for sure that a limp tortoise may still be alive. I had this happen to me. It wouldn't even respond to my poking her on her eyeballs, yet the very next day, she was "alive" again. And eventually 100% recovered.
However, a stiff and discolored tortoise. May be off smelling. May be leaking fluid...Is most likely dead.
Don't bury or throw out a limp tortoise. Especially if the eyes still look normal and wet.
Wait a full 48 hours.

Komplexvex

I am going to be taking him to the vet today to get a heart monitor in. He still hasn't moved last night but there is no discoloration and his eyes seem glassy but have sunken in a bit. But as an update, when I checked on him this morning, I moves his tail a bit and blood with some other fluid came out. So im almost certain that he has passed unfortunately. Regardless, I will find out tonight. Thank you.

In my limited experience, I can say for sure that a limp tortoise may still be alive. I had this happen to me. It wouldn't even respond to my poking her on her eyeballs, yet the very next day, she was "alive" again. And eventually 100% recovered.
However, a stiff and discolored tortoise. May be off smelling. May be leaking fluid...Is most likely dead.
Don't bury or throw out a limp tortoise. Especially if the eyes still look normal and wet.
Wait a full 48 hours.

Komplexvex

Its really hard to tell with my tortoise. He's not stiff and he doesn't smell but there's fluid coming out ofbhis tail with blood.

So hard to know why a tortoise passes....you have the option of a necropsy but even that may not offer final closure...legs suddenly swelling up does not just occur over night...but moreover likely a result of something coming on over time but then when such an advanced state then the symptoms appear and this is where the human suddenly can see something outward....once a tortoise or turtle has passed it will not take long to become apparent that the animal has passed....the animal will not suddenly hibernate, so that is likely not the scenario???

I am sorry that you are having to work through this.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Its really hard to tell with my tortoise. He's not stiff and he doesn't smell but there's fluid coming out ofbhis tail with blood.

The fluid and blood is not a positive sign for life. Okay, so lets see if we can work through this a little....you said you soaked the tortoise and that produced a "hard" poop and then soft poop....when you say hard poop, was it a rock or was it hardened urates, perhaps to food items or lack of hydration??

At what age/size did was the tortoise when you acquired it? Where did you get it from? What type of substrate? What is the primary diet? Is there a constant water source for the tortoise to drink from?