Russian tortoise suddenly aggressive

mikomiko

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello,

I noticed that today my tortoise got REALLY upset with anything being in his general area. He actually bit me today and it did not feel good. I have no idea why he suddenly got this way. Nothing has changed in his environment, humidity or anything. He's by himself too, since Russians don't mind being alone.

Could it be that the seasons are changing and he's getting ready to mate? He's 5 years old btw.

Here's a picture of him staring at me while I changed the substrate since he pooped and urinated all over it.

Attachments

• DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 75

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Lol, it is simple really, the answer is it's a russian tortoise. It's what they do, russians are often agressive for tortoises of thei size. The good news is that as suddenly this behaviour starts, it stops. Your tortoise will calm down sooner or later.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of substrate are you using that you have to change it because he pee'd and pooped on it? Can't you just clean up the poop? He should be on dirt or coconut coir, dirt being better in my opinion. Just wondering.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Aren't Russians great. I love how aggressive they are. Sorry you got bit. It's not pleasant. It will get better, in the meantime watch your fingers. ;)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That is a great picture. I think your little Russian is just staking out his territory. and he didn't want your hand in it :) yes it does hurt when they bite. I had the same question as above about the substrate, if you are using coconut Koire or orchid bark you should not have to change it out. just spot clean the pool. can you give us a picture of his enclosure? Maybe we can give ideas about his environment that will help him calm down. I have a Russian tortoise and she is great, not fearful of anything. they have a lot of personality and attitude.

mikomiko

New York
Yes yes! I don't wear nail polish anymore since I know he probably thinks they are the most delicious things he can think of.

I had to stop using coconut because they kept sneezing non stop. And I got so worried. I would spray with warm water too but they continued to keep sneezing. What is the most ideal substrate to use for the Russians ?

I feel so bad for them like I'm making their lives miserable. I'm so glad you guys are helping out. I'm going to make sure they live comfortable luxurious lives. :D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Russian tortoises should be kept alone or in groups, not pairs. How many tortoises do you have in one enclosure? coconut coir is the best in my opinion. Don't just spray the top pour water into it and stir around with your hand. It shouldn't be sopping wet but damp. if you pick up a handful and squeeze it and it should not dripping water. But it should stick together.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks for the tip, @leigti! I think I have some coconut coir packaged to try. How is it better than sphagnum peat moss? Does it hold in moisture better in your opinion? That would be awesome for our uncertain weather here in Michigan...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It holds moisture very well and they say it will pass right through if they eat any of it. The moss is fine but I think Russians would much prefer the coconut coir. You could make one area with Moss. I am assuming of course that this is all indoors now with you being in Michigan. It's going to get way too cold way too fast if it isn't already.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Oh yes, definitely indoors!! We're planning hibernate him this winter so when he's snoozing, we'll swap out his substrate for fresh stuff. Maybe this time around I will try out the coconut coir although I still have a lot of peat moss to use up. Maybe we can mix the two and make the substrate a little deeper this time.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks for the tip, @leigti! I think I have some coconut coir packaged to try. How is it better than sphagnum peat moss? Does it hold in moisture better in your opinion? That would be awesome for our uncertain weather here in Michigan...
I prefer peat moss over the coco coir personally. I believe leigti things you are talking about long fibred sphagnum moss, though I could be wrong. Anyway, I use the peat moss instead of coco coir. It's easier and much cheaper.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the input! Maybe I will try a little of both and see how it goes! :)

Loganius

My little guy has some accidental aggression releases. If my finger is in the way when I am hand feeding him, lord knows what could happen.

SoCal
My Russian Drago had the same issue around 5 as well. Mine never stopped being a territorial meat head, they get older and their true colors emerge. Every time I set foot in his enclosure he comes running out to attack me, good thing he's only a 1 pound Russian, I would be scared of an aggressive Aldabra. When I put a few females into his enclosure he directed much of his aggression towards the females, but luckily the girls he runs with are tough and don't take no crap from him. He calmed down a little bit with the girls, he gets to blow off steam if you know what I mean.

To be honest I've never met a male Russian that wasn't territorial and aggressive. I've met one that was cool with people running through his hood, but his owner's Mojave Desert Tortoise escaped its enclosure and got into the Russian's enclosure and they fought. Believe it or not, but the 8.5in' Russian won and full grown Desert Tortoise had to go to the vets because of all the missing scales on its legs. What Russian's lack in size they make up for in Bravado. They can be some seriously mean dudes when they go toe to toe with another tort.

Hopefully for your sake, your tort is just temporarily moody, maybe he made a bad investment on the stock market? A 5 year old Russian is kind of like a pubescent teenager, so the abnormal moodiness and aggression makes sense when you think about it. The young ones are more spastic from my experience.