my tortoise is incredibly unresponsive

narmin

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham
hello everyone. for the past two days, my baby tortoise has not been moving at all. i have placed him in warm water and he was still unresponsive. lately, when he had been moving, he would sleep alot. in all honesty, he looks incredibly weak, and he hasnt been eating either. is he dead by any chance, or should i wait for any response from him?

zovick

10 Year Member!
hello everyone. for the past two days, my baby tortoise has not been moving at all. i have placed him in warm water and he was still unresponsive. lately, when he had been moving, he would sleep alot. in all honesty, he looks incredibly weak, and he hasnt been eating either. is he dead by any chance, or should i wait for any response from him?
If the tortoise hasn't moved for two days, there is a good chance it has died. Do you detect any odor coming from the tortoise? Do the eyes look sunken in? If you pull on one of the legs, does it pull the leg back?

When you placed the tortoise in water, did you see any bubbles coming from its nose if the nostrils were under the water?

narmin

Birmingham
If the tortoise hasn't moved for two days, there is a good chance it has died. Do you detect any odor coming from the tortoise? Do the eyes look sunken in? If you pull on one of the legs, does it pull the leg back?

When you placed the tortoise in water, did you see any bubbles coming from its nose if the nostrils were under the water?
i dont detect any odor. his eyes are incredibly sunken in. i cant pull the legs back, it doesnt move all that much. when he was in the water (i tried out both lukewarm and warm), he didnt respond and there were no bubbles at all.

zovick

10 Year Member!
i dont detect any odor. his eyes are incredibly sunken in. i cant pull the legs back, it doesnt move all that much. when he was in the water (i tried out both lukewarm and warm), he didnt respond and there were no bubbles at all.
Sounds as though the tortoise has died even though you aren't smelling anything yet. Can you post any pictures of its face?

narmin

Birmingham
Sounds as though the tortoise has died even though you aren't smelling anything yet. Can you post any pictures of its face?
he was always a weak baby right from when i bought him from the breeder.

zovick

10 Year Member!
That looks like a dead tortoise, unfortunately.

One more thing you can try is to turn it upside down to see if it tries to right itself. I seriously doubt it will move at all from everything you have described so far, though.

narmin

Birmingham
That looks like a dead tortoise, unfortunately.

One more thing you can try is to turn it upside down to see if it tries to right itself. I seriously doubt it will move at all from everything you have described so far, though.
thank you for letting me know.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Sorry to read this . Alot is required in hatchling early days and months, light, warmth, diet, water and substrate are all important. They can be sleepy and sleep 18 hours and awake for 6 as an example. The legs are sensitive so try to apply pressure to see if there is a reflex. May have to be be a trip to a vet to verify. You could also try placing a hot water bottle underneath to make sure heat is available as they do shutdown if cold and uk is cold currently.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry to hear this.
A few years ago one of our member's torts made miraculous recovery when he was going to bury it. It was an older tort and it doesn't sound good for yours but it may be worth keeping him warm until tomorrow, just in case....

narmin

Birmingham
So sorry to hear this.
A few years ago one of our member's torts made miraculous recovery when he was going to bury it. It was an older tort and it doesn't sound good for yours but it may be worth keeping him warm until tomorrow, just in case....
alright will do. thank you so much for your help though love.