Tortoise seems unwell

Kevmoet

Location (City and/or State)
Wales UK
My three year old Stan has been making strange sounds tonight. Every few minutes mutes a sound similar to a sauce bottle being squeezed seems to be coming from him. He appears to be in some discomfort as he occasionally stretches his neck and opens his mouth when the sound occurs. I have noticed that his stools are a little on the soft side tonight.
Any advice on what could be wrong and how I can provide some comfort to him? Many thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you video him, upload it to YouTube and post the link here we can see and hear what’s going on for ourselves.

Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to spot any problems there.

We also need to know the enclosure temperature, the temperature under the basking lamp and the overnight minimum temperature .

Kevmoet

Wales UK
710A9E14-185F-4A67-BBE2-A95077E70669.jpeg FF28874E-5B88-4382-9F2C-396C29344886.jpeg Hi, thanks for helping. I’ve never done this before so hope that the below links work OK.
The temp in his habitat is usually about 75F / 26C.
The temp under the lamps appears to be 90F / 32 C.
I don’t know the temp in his bedroom but he sleeps next to an electric heat pad/wall.
His set up was clean and changed three days ago. We’ve tried various set ups but what we’ve been using (pellets in the living quarters and straw in the be area) has seemed to work best for him. The pellets used on Monday came from a new bag but the same type and brand we usually use.
He’s stopped making the noise today but is lethargic and hasn’t eaten. He had a bath on Monday and I gave home another last night and earlier today to see if it would help.
I have enclosed a picture of the set up.
Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From the description I'd say it was a respiratory infection.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Even looks and sounds like he may have something stuck in his throat.
Any discharge from mouth, nose or eyes?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Does sound very snotty, but it could be a reaction to the environment he is living in. It is far too dry! I would get him checked out by a vet experienced with torts for a respiratory infection though.

- Those pellets are not suitable substrate. You need fine grade orchid bark or coco coir mixed with water until all of it is evenly damp which raises humidity.

- Your tortoise isn’t warm enough. It needs to be 35-37C directly under the basking lamp. Also it must be no lower than 27C day or night while he’s sick - you will need a cover over the enclosure and probably a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to prevent it getting too cold at night.

- Soak daily for at least 30 minutes in warm water while he’s off his food to prevent dehydration.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann’s Care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What species is he and what about the humidity in the enclosure?

Kevmoet

Wales UK
Even looks and sounds like he may have something stuck in his throat.
Any discharge from mouth, nose or eyes?
Hi Tammy, there’s no discharge of any kind. I don’t think theres anything stuck either. But we will get it checked

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Which part of Wales are you in?
I'm in South Wales.
There aren't many exotic animal vets about here but if you are in South Wales too ,then Origin Vets have surgeries in several practices from Cardiff to Haverfordwest and Pembrokeshire throughout the week.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He’s a Hermone. I believe the humidity is in the right range.

If you bought him from a pet shop then ignore almost everything they told you about care and start again here.
Pet shops rarely give up to date information as their main concern is profit and they have frequently been found to sell unsuitable and even unsafe equipment (such as coil bulbs and steep water dishes etc.)
Have a good read of the links you've been given - the caresheet is written by a very experienced keeper - that will tell you all about best practice, diet,temps, humidity and substrate etc.
Pellets are not a good choice they are too dry and absorb moisture and go mouldy which could cause RI. What you have in there looks quite sharp so maybe he has swallowed a bit of that and it is stuck in his mouth or throat.
You also need to buy a digital temp gun which is great for spot checking temps at tort level and in hides etc., and a digital hygrometer with a probe I bought mine from Amazon - both about £10.
I hope he is OK.

Kevmoet

Wales UK
Thanks Lyn. Iv’e just read the links that JoesMum shared. We’re going to take everyone’s advice and change his entire area (substrate, bedding etc). What would you recommend for the bedroom area, and which substrate do you use/where do you purchase it?
I ordered a humidity gage earlier this evening. I’ll also get the gun/point type you referred to as I can see the need and benefit of them.
We live in Bridgend so hope to be able to pop him along to an Origins Vet based at Whitchurch tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Thanks

Kevmoet

Wales UK
Does sound very snotty, but it could be a reaction to the environment he is living in. It is far too dry! I would get him checked out by a vet experienced with torts for a respiratory infection though.

- Those pellets are not suitable substrate. You need fine grade orchid bark or coco coir mixed with water until all of it is evenly damp which raises humidity.

- Your tortoise isn’t warm enough. It needs to be 35-37C directly under the basking lamp. Also it must be no lower than 27C day or night while he’s sick - you will need a cover over the enclosure and probably a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to prevent it getting too cold at night.

- Soak daily for at least 30 minutes in warm water while he’s off his food to prevent dehydration.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann’s Care
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Thanks JoesMum for taking the time to provide such a detailed response. I’ve just read the links you provided so we have a busy day ahead tomorrow. We will change his entire area, and if he hasn’t greatly improved overnight we will be taking him to a recommended vet in the afternoon. Thanks again for the help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks Lyn. Iv’e just read the links that JoesMum shared. We’re going to take everyone’s advice and change his entire area (substrate, bedding etc). What would you recommend for the bedroom area, and which substrate do you use/where do you purchase it?
I ordered a humidity gage earlier this evening. I’ll also get the gun/point type you referred to as I can see the need and benefit of them.
We live in Bridgend so hope to be able to pop him along to an Origins Vet based at Whitchurch tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Thanks
That's where I went last year to see Sophie (there's parking around the back). If you can show, her the videos of his breathing that you posted.
My tort is a leopard so I use coco coir and orchid bark for substrate which I get from Pets at Home and The Range but the caresheet should tell you what would be best for Hermanns.
Avoid anything with sand or white bits in it though and compost which could have toxic pants in it.

Last edited:

Kevmoet

Wales UK
That's where I went last year to see Sophie (there's parking around the back). If you can show, her the videos of his breathing that you posted.
My tort is a leopard so I use coco coir and orchid bark for substrate which I get from Pets at Home and The Range but the caresheet should tell you what would be best for Hermanns.
Avoid anything with sand or white bits in it though and compost which could have toxic pants in it.
We have an appointment booked for 12

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Any news on your little one?

Kevmoet

Wales UK
Any news on your little one?
Thanks for asking, but not very good I’m afraid. We saw Sophie. Inside his mouth was very pale. She said he has a bad RI so kept him in for the day. He was on oxygen and had X-rays and blood tests. There is air in his gut (I believe) so has treatment for that too. Bought a new additional UV strip light this afternoon and changed all his substrate and bedding. Bought a Nebuliser to administer some breathing aid and Reptoboost to bath him 3 times a day (all recommended by Sophie). I picked him up this evening and was shown how to inject some meds into him (has to have them every 72 hours). He’s been on the nebuliser tonight and had a bath so he’s now in bed. We’re trying our best for him and can’t do any more at this time. Really sad but just keeping everything crossed for the little guy.