Please Help!! (Tort seems lethargic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
As I'm sure some of you know, I have an eastern hermann's who at this point is 1 1/2 years old ironically almost to the day. Anyways, I have him housed in a double tortoise table set up, with a 100 watt zoo-med mvb. It is around 97 degrees in his basking area, with a temp that ranges from 93 air in the hottest point to 72 in the coolest spot I could find. He is in 50/50 coco/soil mix, with appropriate hides in both the warm and hot sides of his enclosure. I've never introduced foreign objects into the space, and he is indoors most frequently as I'm stuck in a living situation for the next year or so. I do manage to get him out once a week or so, but it is very difficult with dogs and other people so close by all the time. Anyways, to make a long story short, he has slowed way down. He seems to almost always be in his hut in the cool end of the habitat. I usually catch him out just once a week and by the time I can check him out he has since gone back to hiding and sleeping. He seems to be eating very little these days, although he still does eat. I try to soak him every other day but I have to wake him to do so. Is this normal for him, perhaps going through a life cycle? I live in new england, and I try my hardest to keep my home in the 68-74 degrees area year round. I have yet to notice any signs of infections or anything obscured from the norm. I give him calcium with d3 once a week, sometimes twice. He has almost zero pyramiding, and just one tiny odd spot on the back of his shell that just looks discolored? Otherwise, his eyes, nose, mouth, and beak are all in good shape and not out of norm. Otherwise the only other thing I did notice which I believe to be from his lack of appetite is a lack of waste. I don't know if I'm worried about this for nothing, or if I should find a vet? I can answer almost any question if you need more info....
Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate any help or info I can get!

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
Honestly because it is so dry here sometimes it really fluctuates but I try my hardest to keep it over 50%... but after many articles I've read they are used to long dry spells, so I feel that when it does get dry for a hour or two it shouldn't hurt the poor guy right?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using TortForum mobile app

sheldon1306

5 Year Member
So, based on reading that I assume you are talking mostly about the humid hide. I figured I had mentioned that by saying appropriate hides lol, but yes he has one. I stuck a gauge in there 2 nights ago and it stays above 74 percent at the minimum. The rest of his habitat has been around 50-70 the past week or so. His humid hide is actually a custom made box that has sponges I change out built into the top of it... He has seemed a little bit better today. But still has only come out for about 2 hours this morning, then again for 30 minutes this evening. He did poo, but didn't not pee when I soaked him. I'm a little more relieved so far, but still questioning the recent turn to being lethargic the past weeks. The enclosure is about 70 percent covered, with only a hole for the light which is a mvb, and i have a sort of vent pipe in opposite corners that is about 1" from the floor to the top of the enclosure with a screen over it. Sort of the just keep some air flow through without losing a ton of humidity. *Really wish I could post pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.