Odd noises

Rachael1318

Hello everyone! I've had my tortoise for about a year now, and tonight for the first time I heard him make a strange noise, and now he won't stop! For weeks he's been trying his little heart out to climb a rock I have in his enclosure, and tonight as he was trying to climb it he tilted his head toward the ceiling and started letting out what sound like cries! He doesn't seem hurt and there's nothing else that seems to be wrong, temperatures and humidity are perfect, he's been eating and drinking regularly, only thing I can think of is some kind of mating thing I'm not aware of? Lol. I will try to attach a video!

KatyshaB

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Utah
What type of noises are they? My pair of Russian Torts make a high pitched squealing noise when they are mating. That is the only time they ever make a loud noise. So perhaps your Tort is wanting to mate? I have a few questions for you, first off. What type of Tort do you have, if you can send me some pics of him. What noises does he make? Try to post a video of him doing that is possible. Tortoises are quiet animals and NEVER call out in pain or do anything loud except for breeding. He could be gassy, so please try to answer my questions and I will help you figure this out

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are quiet animals and NEVER call out in pain or do anything loud except for breeding.

This is not accurate. They will often make noises when they are constipated, passing a stone, or exerting themselves.

KatyshaB

Northern Utah
I am talking about Russian Torts. I don't know much about other torts. But I was making an assumption, I apologize. But I guarantee Russian Torts NEVER make any loud vocal noises other then when the male is mating. I made an assumption when I shouldn't. Again, my apologizes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am talking about Russian Torts. I don't know much about other torts. But I was making an assumption, I apologize. But I guarantee Russian Torts NEVER make any loud vocal noises other then when the male is mating. I made an assumption when I shouldn't. Again, my apologizes.

That's totally okay, but a severely constipated russian or a russian passing a kidney or bladder stone will also make the noises I mentioned. It is not common to hear this (thank goodness), and the fact that you've never heard it is really a good thing and it means you are doing things correctly and your tortoises are healthy.

We are all friends here, and we all just want to see good info given out. Rachel1318, might have one of these issues going on, and your questions that you asked her will hopefully offer us some clues to help solve the problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! I've had my tortoise for about a year now, and tonight for the first time I heard him make a strange noise, and now he won't stop! For weeks he's been trying his little heart out to climb a rock I have in his enclosure, and tonight as he was trying to climb it he tilted his head toward the ceiling and started letting out what sound like cries! He doesn't seem hurt and there's nothing else that seems to be wrong, temperatures and humidity are perfect, he's been eating and drinking regularly, only thing I can think of is some kind of mating thing I'm not aware of? Lol. I will try to attach a video!

What species and age?
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low?
What is the ambient humidity in the enclosure?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using to achieve these temps? UV bulb? What type?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I am laughing so hard here...."mating thing" likely....perhaps go onto google and simply type in "tortoise mating" and go through some of them to see the variety of sounds that are generated by tortoise from small to large...the one that really gets my side hurting from laughter is the one "hilarious tortoise mating"....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am laughing so hard here...."mating thing" likely....perhaps go onto google and simply type in "tortoise mating" and go through some of them to see the variety of sounds that are generated by tortoise from small to large...the one that really gets my side hurting from laughter is the one "hilarious tortoise mating"....
I agree- do go on youtube and listen to a few tortoises mating.

They're not fussy: rocks, flower pots, shoes, the cover over a drain ...

Rachael1318

Haha good idea with the YouTube videos! That's most definitely what he's doing, lol. So, now, is there anything I need to do? Remove the rock? Will he be depressed when it doesn't give him tortoise babies? Haha. By the way, he is a four year old Hermanns tort.

image.jpeg

KatyshaB

Northern Utah
That's totally okay, but a severely constipated russian or a russian passing a kidney or bladder stone will also make the noises I mentioned. It is not common to hear this (thank goodness), and the fact that you've never heard it is really a good thing and it means you are doing things correctly and your tortoises are healthy.

We are all friends here, and we all just want to see good info given out. Rachel1318, might have one of these issues going on, and your questions that you asked her will hopefully offer us some clues to help solve the problem.
Thank you, I didn't know that about Torts, but I came on this sight to learn what I never knew about Torts, and what you said is going to help me take care of my torts and maybe help me with my future, again thank you. One question I have for Rachel1318 is how long she has had her male tortoise. I have had my male (Bosley) for 4 years and he never tried to breed with anything except my other female. So do you have to keep them longer with no female for them to breed. Or is Rachel1318's tortoise depressed or something?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Haha good idea with the YouTube videos! That's most definitely what he's doing, lol. So, now, is there anything I need to do? Remove the rock?
Nothing to do at all. Accept you have a male and that's what he does. If he doesn't have the rock, he'll find something else I promise you!

Will he be depressed when it doesn't give him tortoise babies? Haha. By the way, he is a four year old Hermanns tort.
No he won't be depressed. He's not looking for company or feeling lonely. He's just have a surge of testosterone and mating with whatever is available.

I have seen males attempt to mate with the wrong end of another tortoise when in this state; I had no idea of the other tort's gender and he didn't care.

About the worst thing you could do is give him 'a friend' - he would pester another tort, malw or female, so badly that the other tort would become withdrawn and sick.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Haha good idea with the YouTube videos! That's most definitely what he's doing, lol. So, now, is there anything I need to do? Remove the rock? Will he be depressed when it doesn't give him tortoise babies? Haha. By the way, he is a four year old Hermanns tort.

View attachment 169608

I would perhaps give his "girlfriend" a name and leave it there.....at least you know he is able to get on and off ( :rolleyes: ) without a roll over....all good...happy camper...