Tortoise safe mosquito control

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Every year, the mosquitos swarm Curtis’s yard to the point that it is difficult to go outside for longer than a few minutes, and they swarm all over his face. He doesn’t act like he’s particularly bothered, but they are very clearly trying to bite him. Whether or not they succeed, I’m not sure, but it can’t be comfortable.

I don’t particularly want to drop a hundred dollars or more on a CO2 emitting mosquito trap just for 2-3 months out of the year, but I’ll do it if I have to. Does anyone have recommendations or something that’s worked for them?

I cannot find any standing water they would be breeding in in his yard, but there is a septic tank with a hole in its already not airtight lid and a creek butting up to our property, and I’m not sure I can really do anything about either of those.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
idk if it works for tortoises, but I believe that ingesting sulfur works for humans.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
idk if it works for tortoises, but I believe that ingesting sulfur works for humans.
Indeed, ingesting sulfur would definitely work for humans!!! Total eradication guaranteed every time.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I covered Curtis in coconut oil, and strangely enough, I have not seen any mosquitos bothering him since I put it on about an hour ago.

I did, however, just watch Curtis try to mate with a lump of concrete and decide that he is now, once again, hell bent on trying to escape. I’ve never actually seen him exhibit any breeding behaviors, and paired with his frantic attempts to break through the gate, I’m wondering if he’s suddenly sexually mature?

Bonus vids of him trying his darndest to escape. Going to secure the gate further, because apparently he has no trouble moving cinder blocks now.

But, back on topic, I wonder if mosquitos don’t like coconut oil? Or maybe a little bit of the extra strength mosquito spray I put on beforehand got mixed in.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’ve determined that the mosquitos are definitely coming from the septic tank. Going to see about getting my dad to replace the lid or filling the broken parts with expanding foam.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Apparently, compounds derived from coconut oil are more effective than DEET at repelling mosquitos and for long periods of time, and they have been used to protect cattle from mosquitos.
However, this article also states that coconut oil alone is not a mosquito repellant. After seeing them avoid Curtis after application, I wonder if that's really true?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I’ve determined that the mosquitos are definitely coming from the septic tank. Going to see about getting my dad to replace the lid or filling the broken parts with expanding foam.

Idk if all mosquito dunks are septic safe. But there are some that are.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Idk if all mosquito dunks are septic safe. But there are some that are.
I managed to seal the holes in the lid with expanding foam, which the mosquitos are very unhappy about. We'll have to see if that solves it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Have you ever used coconut oil on him before? Maybe the smell is causing him to want to escape?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Apparently, compounds derived from coconut oil are more effective than DEET at repelling mosquitos and for long periods of time, and they have been used to protect cattle from mosquitos.
However, this article also states that coconut oil alone is not a mosquito repellant. After seeing them avoid Curtis after application, I wonder if that's really true?
Maybe just about any kind of oil would "repel" them...they'd get stuck in it.