Safe mosquito spray or way to minimze danger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferinFL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Around Daytona Beach, FL
I haven't posted here in a long time, it's been a busy last year or so.

Anyhow, long story short, we recently moved to a house with a half acre yard and my original plan was to build a tortoise enclosure outdoors for my red foot tortoise. Unfortunately, it turns out we have a bear problem here so I am hesitant to try to build anything for him out there. Right now he is living in an enclosure in the sunroom (14' X 20') and he shares the sunroom (not the enclosure) with our declawed senior cat. Our cat has flea allergies and we do treat him with Frontline, but then keep him out of the sunroom for a few days after. The bear problem is severe with no current plans to trap the bear. It killed a neighbors dog last week. So, that's where that is.

Anyhow, problem is that somehow we are ending up with a lot of mosquitoes in the sunroom. I've been trying to find where they're coming in at, but no luck so far. Our house backs up to a canal, so despite having no standing water in our yard, the mosquito problem is unavoidable, as is the gator problem and water moccasin problem. You get the idea.

We were just using neem oil on the window screens and vacuuming up the mosquitoes. Unfortunately our cat has developed an eosinophilic granuloma on his nose from the mosquito bites. We're at the point now where we just have to spray/paint the screens with a real insecticide.

I really need suggestions to minimize the risk for my tortoise while still dealing with the mosquito problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOW, that's a tuff one. Maybe you could put a top on the tortoise enclosure that is on the side of the windows and slanted upward. Like a barrier, so the pesticide can't blow into the enclosure. I would remove the tortoise and cover his whole enclosure when you actually did the spraying. See if others have a y ideas. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.