Guppies and mollies for mosquito control.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
Hi. I recently set up several stock tanks and barrels outside and bought some Moscow guppies, plates and a few gold mollies to put in them. I also caught some Gambusia and other native/non natives in a local canal. They went into separate stock tanks. So far the mosquito population is way less. The guppies have given birth to MANY fry. I may be over run with purple moscows! Come fall I can send lots to anyone who is interested in them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I never have much luck with guppies, but this is why I keep goldfish in all outside pools.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I did catch a few green sailfin mollies and added them to one stock tank. I've not seen any mosquito larvae in the tanks at all.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Also in the canals are guppies that are all black but with white spots or some are all white with black spots. What are those called? They swim around with the regular guppies.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Mosquito fish aka Gambusia. Some are melanistic and are spotted. They are released all over the USA and were used in pools and standing water in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina to control the mosquito explosion.

@AmRoKo get a dip net and a stock tank or even a plastic garbage can and go catch some gambusia. They will do very well as long as they are not in direct sun. I added some local water plants to filter the water and add oxygen. I feed them flaked food every couple of days.

Last edited: