What fish are safe for RES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
My pond constantly gets bloodworms and sometimes mosquitos. The pet store told me I could put some sword tail and mosquito fish with them. Are they safe if they ate them? I have sword tail with them but they don't seem to be interested in eating them, might have something to do with how quick these fishes swim.( I count them everyday LOL and still complete). But they finish the mosquito fish very quickly.

Now I feel so stupid for not asking here first... I hope those mosquito fish are safe?

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I will often feed mine "Rosey red minnows". Problem is my cichlids in the tank eat more of the minnows than Cosmo does, lol.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, mosquito fish are fine. They are in the same family as guppies in fact.

The only fish you really want to avoid are goldfish. They are fatty, parasite ridden and also contain a compound called thiaminase, which breaks down thiamin and can result in neurological problems.

I usually just buy whatever minnows that the bait store has to toss in my ponds to control the mosquito larvae. They are typically $1 a dozen.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I used to use goldfish until I started reading about all the problems with them, mosquito fish are fine as are the minnows (I use them). personally I would avoid the fancier fish myself, no particular reason, just something I do.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
What fish are safe for RES?.... NONE! your turtle will eat all types! ~:p

Just kidding ... tittle sounded fun. Yes, any type minnow will work , and depending on pond size, blue gill, bass, koi , algae eaters, guppies ect. There are many factors in which fish will survive, such as pond temp, water quality ect. Most all minnows are very hardy , produce rapidly , and also a food source for your little shelled buddies.

JD~:)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
You could also keep a couple of tetras in turtle tanks, as they're safe, colorful, and also very fast, so they'll last longer than other fish like guppies. As long as you don't mind the price. :p

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
all members of the minnow family contain high levels of thiaminase that includes shinners and rosey reds aka fathead minnows. though mosquito fish are good as are all livebearers but use ones that are native to yur area they are more likely to live. also sunfish are neat pets and are also of good value as food so are silver sides, mummichugs (fat head minnows which are actually killifish) and sheep minnows (another killi). though be warned they may all be eaten oh and mosquito fish despite their name have other preferances like baby fish and dragonfly larvae. i keep mosquito fish as pets and as food as well as a few mummichugs and a pumpkin seed sunfish that lives with my eastern snapping turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.