Tortoise parent to be...

jlpicc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
I am (hopefully) getting ready to become a parent to a russian tortoise this weekend. I've done a bunch of research and it seems like a good fit for me and my husband. I've always had furry pets, but he has really bad asthma so I've been pet-less since Nov, with the dogs living at my parents. He is still reluctant to take this step because he's never really had pets and doesnt understand my desire to care for a living thing, so I'm hoping he comes around before the reptile show on Saturday. He says I can if I really want to, but I'd like him to be a little more into the whole idea.

Does any one have any advice /tips for shopping at the reptile show this weekend? Or how to get hubby in love with the idea of turtle owing :)?

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
My hubby knew it was all my idea to get one. But after Zebulun, a red foot, joined our family he was on board with loving him as much as I do. One word of caution. If you want a girl; name it a boys name. If you want a boy; go with a girl's. Just sayin. Our boy seems to be taking the shape of a female. Figures. That's ok. She is the only tort we will ever have.

jlpicc

5 Year Member
Delaware
LOL I was thinking of just going gender neutral...Or naming it Milo and changing it to Mila if it turns out to be a girl...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Well if your going to do this by Sat. You got a lot of reading to do . Good luck , and have a great tort day

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Did you show some cute baby tortoise picture?? Most of time, cute photo will do the trick.

I have few here.

13CH4.jpg 40.jpg 45.jpg MAYHYP8soak_zps02400d8f.jpg NewHYPOG5-25-13_zpsb7764e94.jpg 0023.JPG

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I was thrust into caring for a Russian and Lou has become my best pal. Anyone on here that talks to me for half a minute will tell you as much. I'm sure your husband will come round without to much effort

Luke&Lou

jlpicc

5 Year Member
Delaware
Thanks for all the encouragement! I've spent the last month or so doing tons of research, and have talked his ear off with facts, so I think we're ready. And last night he started tossing out name ideas so I think he's finally starting to get excited too! I went out and bought most of my supplies last night, and hopefully the few things I still need I can get at the show.

kmartin

central Florida
Good luck at the show and with your husband!
It's really not hard to fall in love with tortoises, it won't take him long.

jlpicc

5 Year Member
Delaware
So things didn't exactly go according to plan today at all... But in the end I am still a Russian tortoise mommy to a male named Markl. And he's adorable. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399756003.802881.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
For future reference, to pick a healthy tortoise at a show, one that has clear eyes and nose, good weight to it ( does not feel like just a shell, and if possible see it eat ( good breeders won't mind showing your tort chowing down)

jlpicc

5 Year Member
Delaware
Thanks that's good to know anyway because I didn't end up getting him at a show. I may end up getting a second at one when we decide we're in love with tortoise-owning.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) He is beautiful :) Russians are awesome :tort::<3: