New parent to a russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

madiekins

5 Year Member
HI everyone, I'm a new parent and have a ton of questions.

When I got her she was showing signs of dehydration. Now that seems to be better but all she wants to do is dig and sleep under her bedding.
Do you think she is going into hibernation? I ask this because the previous owner was using an under the tank heating pad and I switched her to a heat lamp. I was told this was better for her than the heating pad, but could the change in the way she is kept warm have confused her system?

Also I know this is a strange question but is her urine suposed to look a little like milk?

My husband and I just want her to be happy and heathly girl.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

New tortoises always take a while to get used to a new set-up. You will though have to tell us about your set-up so we can get an idea of why she's doing what she's doing. What lights are you using and how long are they on? What are your temperatures in the enclosure, warm end, cool end, under basking lamp and night time? What are you using for substrate?

Danny

madiekins

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for your reply!!

She was given to us in a snake tank (glass), the substrate she had in her tank was something called ECO EARTH.
But when we went to the extoic pet store she was purchesed from they gave us something called
coco soft.
When I cleaned her home we dicovered that the bottom of her tank is breaking where the heat pad is located. We know we need to change her habitate but don't want to stress her any more for a little while.
Anyway I did use a combination of the two substrates when I cleaned her tank. It was about 50/50.
Could that have been the reason for her behavior? She has only been in our care for five days now but I'm totaly in love with her. She was digging to the bottom where it was broken but I put her heavy water dish there to stop her.

If you have any suggestions that would be Great!!! Thanks

Sorry Danny I didn't answer all your question,

We are using a zoo med lamp with a 100 w basking bulb and we are keeping it on for about 13 hrs.

As for the temp. the thermometer that was already in the tank says it's about 80. But I'm going to buy a new one today because we question if it is giving us a good reading.(it's plastic and my husband says it hasn't really moved in temp. since we got her.
With the fact the tank is so small I'm afraid her cool end isn't really very cool. The temp. at night are around 68-70.
Hope this helps.

Diana

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Diana:

Welcome to the forum!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Diana,
It could be all the changes or the temperatures that are making her want to hide, though Russians are good at digging anyway. :p
Do you know what kind of bulb you have?
Is the 80 degree temperature near the lamp or away from the lamp? It would be a good idea to get another thermometer to find out what the temperatures are. :)

Danny

madiekins

5 Year Member
Hi Danny,

I went and bought a new thermometer and her basking temp. is at 95. The coolest spot in her tank is 80. We have a 100 w bulb in right now. I can't Thank you enough for your help and suggestions. How long should we wait until we give her a new home?

Thanks,
Diana

S

Scooter

Congrats on your new baby! We would love to see pictures of her!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Your tortoise sounds so cute and lovable. How lucky for her that you are determined to set her up in an ideal micro-climate. Once the transition period has passed, she will be happy and healthy and you will have many hours of enjoyment just watching her do torty things. :D

Danny is the best of the best, so you can take all his advice to the bank. ;)

And get those photos posted so we can all meet your little girl! Here's one way:http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html, or you can use tinypic.com.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Congrats on your new baby! I have a 1-year old Russian and I am madly in love with him ;)
Can't wait to see pics!
You can give her a new home whenever you'd like. Many people use large storage containers or "tort tables" - I built my tortoise's enclosure out of wood from Home Depot. It is 4x2 ft. The bigger the better!
A cheaper option is to use an old bookcase with the shelves removed. You can easily find bookcases on craigslist. People line these wooden enclosures with plastic shower curtains or other plastic tarps- it's easier to clean and prevents moisture from reaching the wood.

Here's what my tort's enclosure looks like:
IMG_0798.jpg

(that's when I first built it- I have since remodeled it a little!)

Status
Not open for further replies.