Tortoise owner candidate from New Jersey

DJF

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum, thank you for welcoming me.

So I'm thinking about becoming a tortoise owner for my family but I live in NJ and I'm concerned about the colder months. I am thinking about a Red Footed Tortoise because they seem to be cool but I don't want to buy on something cool if it can't handle the environment. Not that I plan on leaving it outside during winter but I want to see if there's one species over the other that would be better suited for the change in seasons.

Any advice would be welcomed as well as safe places to buy a tortoise in NJ.

Thanks!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Hi and welcome! :) I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area so I have the same concerns as you. Because of that I have yet to get a tortoise. I do have two box turtles but no tortoise yet. :( Hopefully someone else can help you out more.

Reactions: DJF

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Welcome! I live in WI and purchased a Russian Tortoise. I will be keeping him outside when weather permits, but during our colder months he will be kept inside. Tortoise need a lot of space to roam and dig. :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello DJF welcome to the TFO from AZ . I'm lost what do you mean " handle 4 seasons " a red foot is from south AMerica yes they have 4seasons but no NJ Coooold weather . Now I have torts that stay outside year around but I haven't bought my torts a snow blower yet .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

DJF

Hello DJF welcome to the TFO from AZ . I'm lost what do you mean " handle 4 seasons " a red foot is from south AMerica yes they have 4seasons but no NJ Coooold weather . Now I have torts that stay outside year around but I haven't bought my torts a snow blower yet .

Hi Grandpa, thank you for replying. I'm reading a lot that many tortoises like warmer temperatures which we get here in NJ for about 3 month (June/July/August) then it gets cooler. I'd keep the tortoises indoors but I'm new to the game here so I don't want to buy a pet that's going to struggle during the colder months.

Are there species of tortoises that would be better for the North East? I'm just trying to make an educated decision and not buy on desire but keeping the animal in mind that's all.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you for your anser I feel better now . I thought you were trying to beat child laber laws by haveing your torts snow blow your side walks .
But if you read the section on in door enclosures you will see they have all the torts comforts of home . And in the summer months put the torts outside . Now as I said earlier I have some that are outside year around but most tort care takers don't want to be without their torts for 3-4 months cause during those months they mostly sleep . I hope I've helped a little , without making your choise of torts for you . Have a great tort day!

DJF

Thank you for your anser I feel better now . I thought you were trying to beat child laber laws by haveing your torts snow blow your side walks .
But if you read the section on in door enclosures you will see they have all the torts comforts of home . And in the summer months put the torts outside . Now as I said earlier I have some that are outside year around but most tort care takers don't want to be without their torts for 3-4 months cause during those months they mostly sleep . I hope I've helped a little , without making your choise of torts for you . Have a great tort day!

You were a great help and I thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

If I can find Candy's picture, I'll attached it here for you to see how warm weather tortoises are kept in cold weather.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Tort-Rex

Hi and welcome to the forum! I am also in NJ :) I have a Russian tortoise named Rex. We got him at a pet store in PA, but they only sold Russians....sorry I couldn't be of more help!

-Tort-Rex/Colleen

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm farther north than you. Hermann's and Russians do fine indoors in the winter. It's the rainy summers that get the russians down.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
A Hermann's would do well in your climate, though would need to be brought inside for temperatures below 55-60. It also stays smaller, so it's easier to house indoors when necessary. A redfoot gets rather large to house indoors nine months of the year. A hermans is 1/3 - 1/2 of an adult redfoots size.

Also, I'm in North Dakota, so I don't care where any of y'all live, my winters are worse than yours LOL.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Also, I'm in North Dakota, so I don't care where any of y'all live, my winters are worse than yours LOL.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you get bragging rights for bad winters. But you get a lot more sun than we do.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Also, I'm in North Dakota, so I don't care where any of y'all live, my winters are worse than yours LOL.

Yes, you get bragging rights for bad winters. But you get a lot more sun than we do.[/QUOTE]

Not lately! This summer has been wet and cloudy. :(

Last winter we averaged -40 almost every day! Sun is bright on snow and ND is so flat the wind is ridiculous.

ginamarie89

@DJF hello and welcome!! I live in central jersey and have 2 baby greek torts. They are very small right now so I don't feel safe with them outside yet, so they're indoors in a tortoise table with proper lighting humidity levels and heat. I take them outside whenever I can under close super vision. I had another greek a few years ago that was probably the best looking and healthy tortoise I've seen in a while and he had the same routine. If you need any help, please let me know! Helps when you have advice from the same area. Also, I was considering a redfoot, they're beautiful. But they do better outdoors with natural higher humidity levels. If they're indoors they require a lot more work to keep the levels at the right spot. Side note: because my babies will mainly be indoors other than the summer, we went with the Greeks for their small size, they reach 7-8" max. Redfoots are closer to 10-12" full grown, if not a little larger. I've seen some big guys I would have no idea what to do with him my home lol

Gina Marie