Here's Dales new enclosure (picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
This is Dale's new enclosure that I have been promising to post pictures of for so long. I don't know how I got them to post big, but I'm so happy they did. I hope you all enjoy them I know Dale's much happier now. I hope you like the enclosure my husband and so worked hard on it. And I painted it. (Sorry the boys beds aren't made I was way too tired after setting it up in there.)

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00130-1.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr210/CandyCal/DSC00227.jpg[/IM

[IMG]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr210/CandyCal/DSC00233.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
RE: Here's Dales new enclosure

Looks really good! Matches the room nicely. Great job. As you can see Dale is blushing over how nice of a gift you have given him ;)

Could you please list what live plants you have growing inside? I am always very curious about the flora in people's enclosures.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Jordan. It took us a week to get it done, but it's very sturdy. We went to Ikea and looked at their bookcases, but my husband wasn't happy about the back of them because of how much dirt it would have to hold so he decided on his vacation (Thanksgiving break) that he would build him one. This is actually the third one he's put together for Dale. :D He says if I get another tortoise to make it an outside one so we don't have to go through this again. Anyway the plants are just ones from Home Depot. I know one of them is an Aloe Vera and I bought a begonia (because Terryo had put it in Pio's viv) and there's an echinacea that I grew from a seed in there. Some ivy and some kind of fern plants (I also saw them in Pio's viv). So far all Dale does is trample over them to get to whatever he's trying to get to. Oh yeah I do have a Christmas Cactus in there. I love them.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I would have loved to make it bigger, but my husband said we didn't have enough room. ;)

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Wow that's so great! Thats the most natural enclosure I've ever seen!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Kayti. I tried to make it natural for him. He is starting to roam around quite a bit more. I had to laugh the other day because he was trying to push around his Aloe Vera plant. He kept wiggling his butt against it. I thought he was going to knock it right out of the soil, but then he stopped and walked away from it. Silly tortoise. :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yes it is a fan heater although we have since purchased a convection heater for the room. It works great. It keeps everything at a perfect temperature. I was amazed at how quickly the room get heated. I'm so happy we bought it. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Amazing enclosure Candy, you all did a very good job. I am sure Dale loves living in his new home! The fisrt pics are so cute, it looks like Dale is inspecting the foundation :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Dale looks like he is wearing a lipstick smile in that third photo--totally CUTE!:D

I'll bet the boys enjoy having that close-up view of tortoise life in their room.;)

Now you just need to find that companion for Dale, though if you do, you may want to put a "privacy screen" of some sort over the top!:p

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Looks good Candy!

Turn Dales' hide at least 45 degrees.. ( 90 would be better ) away from all of that light [ for the plants? ] so he can have a break from them. In fact it might be a good idea to lower the lights to create a "spot" light effect instead of a "flood" - I hope you appreciate what I'm saying.

Those men of yours did a fantastic job..
36_10_1.gif
.. { per your specs. } fix them a special dinner.. if you haven't already!

NERD

BTW.. ever "tickle" their butt and watch them dance???

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you guys for the comments. Dale does look like he's wearing lipstick in the third picture. Sometimes he's so red it's amazing. I was very close to getting him a mate, but unforunately it didn't work out and I was kind of sad about it, but I am still looking though. Terry, thanks for reminding me to turn his enclosure. When you said that I remembered you had actually told me the same thing when I first got Dale. I will do it right away. I was wondering why he was hiding on the side of the enclosure where it's darker instead of going into it. The light is for the plants. I think they did a great job too. Alexander always laughs when he rubs Dale's butt and he wiggles. :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Candy said:
Thank you guys for the comments. Dale does look like he's wearing lipstick in the third picture. Sometimes he's so red it's amazing. I was very close to getting him a mate, but unforunately it didn't work out and I was kind of sad about it, but I am still looking though. Terry, thanks for reminding me to turn his enclosure. When you said that I remembered you had actually told me the same thing when I first got Dale. I will do it right away. I was wondering why he was hiding on the side of the enclosure where it's darker instead of going into it. The light is for the plants. I think they did a great job too. Alexander always laughs when he rubs Dale's butt and he wiggles. :D

Glad you knew what I meant about "tickling... butt". Should have said 'his..... and him'.. thank you.

You might even consider the plants closer together ( on the water-dish end ) to create a "forest" effect.. which will give Dale another place to hide/sit.. out of the direct "sun". And that will also free-up some walkin' around room on the other end.

Terry K

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Candy Great Enclosure you all made for Dale. I love the pics of him inspecting his base and the wonderful watchdog you have for him checkng out the underside of it. :) I realize the "vine" plant is a Pothos and are not recomended and that TerryO has said she has had no problem with Pio eating it. But also watch that Dale does not get tangled in it. One of my Greeks Got his foot tangled and stressed over trying to get loose.

Now I wan't an enclosure in my Bedroom. But alas there is no room. :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.