TORTOISE MANIAC THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I get sad when I work 12 or more hours in a day, not because of the work hours, but because Sheldon wakes up after I leave, and goes to sleep before I get home.

judy wayte

5 Year Member
i love this forum, i am there with you i learn to eat collard, mustard and kale so there won,t be any waste and i talk to them all the time. the poor dogs get left over fruit for treats.i am loving it.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
- the wife starts noticing that some of HER tupperware is being used to store chopped produce for the tortoises.
- When asked what you want for Christmas or your birthday, you think of what else the tortoises may need in the near future (a spare Powersun? Giftcard to Lowe's or Home Depot perhaps? or maybe 3 bags of cypress mulch...of course, one can never go wrong with a giftcard to Amazon!)

LOL...I asked for a new temp gun!

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Planning to move in with my parents in the countryside so my tortoises can be in the garden, natural sun, grow weeds, fresh air and lots of space.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:) When the first thing you do when you get up is check the torts!

;) When your eggs are always on your mind!

:rolleyes: When you sleep good if the torts are warm!

I am a TORTOISE MANIAC!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
...when you slowly start getting rid of all the furniture to fit "just one more" enclosure in the house.

...when you sit roasting in a hot house in the winter and no A/C on in the summer, because the tortoises need it hot.

...when the tortoises get the good healthy greens and your family gets to eat iceberg because it's cheaper.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Jacqui said:
...when you slowly start getting rid of all the furniture to fit "just one more" enclosure in the house.

...when you sit roasting in a hot house in the winter and no A/C on in the summer, because the tortoises need it hot.

...when the tortoises get the good healthy greens and your family gets to eat iceberg because it's cheaper.

So true, LOL!

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Also When ur freezing in the bedroom, cause ur tortoises needs the extra radiator .

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
JeffG said:
...When at night, your wife says, "come to bed" with that look in her eye, and you make an excuse so that you can stay up longer and finish reading a thread (or 20). :(

BAHAHAA!!! yeah im guilty for this one :rolleyes: and sooooo soooo many more!!

ALDABRAMAN said:
Jacqui said:

So true, LOL!

oh boy ..yeah im guilty:rolleyes: all of the above again... lmao

jkingler

5 Year Member
Some faves from this page:
when you pause your favorite show just so you can press the "View New Post", then forget to un-pause.... (this REALY gets on the wifes nerves! Tongue )
GF hates this. So many shows and movies that do not get finished, because I am doing vital research...haha.
When the first thing you do when you get up is check the torts!
First thing I do is turn on the lights!
When asked what you want for Christmas or your birthday, you think of what else the tortoises may need in the near future (a spare Powersun? Giftcard to Lowe's or Home Depot perhaps? or maybe 3 bags of cypress mulch...of course, one can never go wrong with a giftcard to Amazon!)
All of my x-mas present money went into Deedle, and is likely going to come out of Deedle next soak. And I have been to Lowe's and Home Depot in the lumber, plumbing/PVC, brick/rock and gutter areas waaaaay too much lately...and I've been LOVING it! WHO AM I???? (I am *ahem* "normally" the least "handy" man known to man...)
I get sad when I work 12 or more hours in a day, not because of the work hours, but because Sheldon wakes up after I leave, and goes to sleep before I get home.
Laura hates that she gets home after the tort turns in, lol.
- Every piece of unwanted furniture could potentially be turned into a tortoise table!
- You constantly comb Craigslist for free or cheap materials to upgrade your outdoor enclosures.

I have never, ever in my life been as long-term focused on craigslist as I am now that I am "envisioning" and "building" things...but it's for the baby (tortoise)!
- You know more about creating humidity in a closed environment than anyone else you know.
Ummm...probably?!

And one more from me:
-No matter where you go, no matter what errand you are on...You are looking...You aren't sure what for, but you hope you'll know it when you see it, because it might be the most unexpected, creative, and AWESOME thing anyone's ever repurposed for a chelonian, EVER!

EDIT: Oh, my...
...Guilty! Haha. I am thinking "vertical" so that I can maximize floor space...for a hatchling tortoise, who does not even need the amount of space he already has (and which is being upgraded now...again...for the nth time...).

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
cpk said:
stare at them do nothing for a long time without getting bored :p

lol! Guilty!

dmarcus said:
:D If you have more pictures of your tortoises than your family...
4,370 pics and counting. . . . I can't seem to get enough pics. Always trying to capture the "essence" of an individual. Chelonians bring together many of my hobbies and interests; photography, systems, wildlife, natural environments, ecosystems, ponds, water, controlling complicated systems, animal keeping, collecting, nature, california native plants, history, watching wild creatures, geography, weather, desire to raise some kind of livestock. . . . . . . Turtles and tortoises are the essential part of my Ven Diagram that overlaps all of these.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
...when you get use to the strange stares as your buying dozens of bunches of greens at one time (along with a dozen cantaloupes not too mention the bags of bulk mushrooms and other goodies). Or folks (when your only getting a few bunches) folks comment on how healthy you feed your family. :D

...when your children can loudly, in a crowd, identify the strange noises coming from another area of the zoo, as tortoises breeding.

...when you go to the produce department and your child calmly walk over the the bag dispenser and start rolling out a pile of plastic bags to put produce in.

...when your children go out in the rain, not to play, but to catch nightcrawlers for Mom to feed to tortoises.

...when you drive by a vineyard for sale and your first thought is, "but what would I do with the grapes?"

...when your disappointed in any gift you get, if it has nothing to do with tortoises.

...when you look forward to fall, not for football or changing leaves, but rather for the plants to go on clearance and you stock up for the next enclosure your working on.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
jkingler said:
-No matter where you go, no matter what errand you are on...You are looking...You aren't sure what for, but you hope you'll know it when you see it, because it might be the most unexpected, creative, and AWESOME thing anyone's ever repurposed for a chelonian, EVER!

I believe this pretty anyone who keeps reptiles, period!

What's worse is when you decide to bring that said something home without an immediate purpose, but with that feeling of "...some day, this may be useful" and you have to try and explain it to the spouse and find a place to store it until..."that day."

jkingler

5 Year Member
Ha. Glad it's not just me!

And even worse still, when you try to cut, reshape, or otherwise rework said object to make it useful to the tort, only to ruin it and then be stuck with it...

/this has happened to me a few times now

jkingler

5 Year Member
I know. This thread is the best. I love how casual we are about enabling each other's obsession...

Also: If you are ALWAYS sure that the water is filtered and the produce is organic on the chelonian side, but when it comes to the humans...lol.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GeoTerraTestudo said:
If you've ever thought of taking salad home from a restaurant in a doggy bag.

Love this thread. :)

I actually will sometimes slip a couple of items off the salad bar, just for the purpose of taking it home to see if the tortoises will even eat whatever it may be before I actually go out and buy them some. :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:rolleyes: When you ask all your friends if you can pick the cactus!

:D When the first thing your friends ask is how are the torotises!

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
When you are know as "the tortoise guy" by all the cashiers at the grocery store......"because your the only one that buys that stuff". :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
:) when your friends introduce you to thier friends because their freind is looking to adopt a rescue.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.