KEEPING MULTIPLE TORTS (INDOOR ONLY)

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Greetings....
I am curious as to what is the best way to adapt two tortoises into your home. I am not so much worried about space, that in which I have but electric...
Do you run your bulbs through one extension cord? OR do you space out your enclosures? I know adding another tortoise is going to cost more with using more electric.. but wondering if there are any ways you can make it easier for yourself so you can enjoy more than one tortoise in your premises. ^__^
How do owners on here keep more than 1 tortoise? What are your tricks? Are they indoors? What are the costs of having more than one?

(I keep my tortoise indoors in the winter due to the climate where I am from it is currently 30 degrees here.)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I have 2 enclosures and i dont notice much of a diff in elect. They are closed chambers so i am able to use low wattage bulbs and the che’s barely kick on at night. Ur biggest problem is gonna be picking out a picture to hang in ur new enclosure lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only have one inside the rest are in a tortoise shed.
If they are Russians, Hermanns or any other in that group and the house you live in doesnt get colder then say 60 at night you wont need heat at night just a basking heat bulb for day time and whatever other heat is need to keep enclosure at 80 during the day with basking 95-100.
Put the enclosures electric on an extension strip and lights on timers.
Most other species will need night heat of 80.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It might be less expensive than you think.
I have 3 Chameleon cages full of electronics and two tortoises night houses with night time heaters and I've only see a tiny increase in my power bill.
Use several outlets throughout the room and try to avoid extension cords when you can.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I have 2 enclosures and i dont notice much of a diff in elect. They are closed chambers so i am able to use low wattage bulbs and the che’s barely kick on at night. Ur biggest problem is gonna be picking out a picture to hang in ur new enclosure lol
Hahah. That’s true!
And what would you recommend for a baby greek? I can have my pet store ship me any tortoise I want. What wattage is recommended?
I’m assuming babies are more expensive to care for with heat.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
It might be less expensive than you think.
I have 3 Chameleon cages full of electronics and two tortoises night houses with night time heaters and I've only see a tiny increase in my power bill.
Use several outlets throughout the room and try to avoid extension cords when you can.
Why avoid the extension cords? Does it cause a fire hazard? Can I see your set up for the tortoises houses?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Why avoid the extension cords? Does it cause a fire hazard? Can I see your set up for the tortoises houses?
Yes
You don't want a lot of current going through an extension cord.
This photo is the inside and outside of one of my two night houses. I currently do not keep any tortoises indoors
I 20210116_140511.jpg20210112_185944.jpg