TORTOISE LASAGNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
By popular demand (and ultimately, Josh's urging:D), I am revealing an age-old recipe...actually it only came to fruition when I acquired Aladar this past Spring. Obviously, you can change up ingredients, but I rarely vary anything...as the torts (both great and small) love this savory treat!

First cover the bottom of a tupperware with Mazuri...
2qn1d2s.jpg

Next...a layer of Timothy hay
ivd25e.jpg

Then...a layer of Zoo Med Grassland
rc0v87.jpg

Followed by a layer of finely chopped Timothy/Bermuda/Orchard Hay (or TNT form CarolinaPetSupply.com)
10cotnn.jpg

Then a layer of Organic Herbal Salad Mix (CarolinaPetSupply.com)
4vgyog.jpg

Add very warm water to top of ingredients...
rw2m3m.jpg

and press down lightly with a spatula (don't worry that it seems like a lot of water...the Mazuri and Grassland absorb it all)
2w57jgg.jpg

Let sit 15 minutes and the slam it down where you intend your tort to eat...
2u9mu5g.jpg

add a little Spring Mix (or Santa Barbara Mix, which I prefer [no lettuce])
o94zmd.jpg

and watch him (or her;)) do the rest.
xddgm.jpg

zmzgq8.jpg

***NOTE: There is no precise measurement for the ingredients...I base it according to how much my torts can eat in a single sitting...THIS STUFF DOES NOT KEEP!***

M

Maggie Cummings

Is this Santa Barbara mix new? I have never heard of it. Do you get it at Safeway? I think Bob would really enjoy this, you want to come up and fix it for him???

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
maggie3fan said:
Is this Santa Barbara mix new? I have never heard of it. Do you get it at Safeway? I think Bob would really enjoy this, you want to come up and fix it for him???

Ready Mix makes it...all it contains is endive, escarole and radicchio...NO LETTUCES AT ALL! I shop at Stater Bros where they carry the 8 oz bag...but Smart and Final carries the 5 pound bag...YEAH!

M

Maggie Cummings

DeanS said:
maggie3fan said:

Ready Mix makes it...all it contains is endive, escarole and radicchio...NO LETTUCES AT ALL! I shop at Stater Bros where they carry the 8 oz bag...but Smart and Final carries the 5 pound bag...YEAH!
We don't have either of those stores here. I'll have to shop around for it...I have a sick tort and I can get her to eat radicchio but nothing else and it's getting hard to find now that my favorite store has closed...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
5 pounds? Wow. What does that cost? I've been getting the big spring mix tubs from Costco for 3 something. Lasts about 3-4 days for all my hatchlings.

kelarned

5 Year Member
California
Great idea!! Thanks for the tip on Santa Barbara mix also. Do you mind me asking what species your tort is...thx

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
maggie3fan said:
DeanS said:
maggie3fan said:

We don't have either of those stores here. I'll have to shop around for it...I have a sick tort and I can get her to eat radicchio but nothing else and it's getting hard to find now that my favorite store has closed...

Any store that carries Ready Mix should be stocking Santa Barbara by now!

Tom said:
5 pounds? Wow. What does that cost? I've been getting the big spring mix tubs from Costco for 3 something. Lasts about 3-4 days for all my hatchlings.

It varies...just a couple days ago I spent $4.59 for it at S & F...I store it in a salad bag, so it keeps quite well for a couple weeks...not that it lasts that long. That bag is gonna be toast by the middle of the week I think!:D

kelarned said:
Great idea!! Thanks for the tip on Santa Barbara mix also. Do you mind me asking what species your tort is...thx

The young man in the thread is Aladar...an Ivory sulcata! I have four yearlings...Climber and Jimmy (normal phase) and Eggroll and Snowflake (Ivory phase).

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tom said:

I gave up on buying spring mix. It is $5.99 a pound here, and I go through 2lbs a day, plus veggies and fruit and mushrooms. Now I just get bunches of the same greens (usually about $1.69 a lb) that are in the spring mix, tear it up and mix it all together, much cheaper and only takes an extra 5 minutes.

Tortoise lasagna looks yummy ;) Of course this is coming from someone that gets cravings for Dumor horse cookies.... The oat and honey are my favorite, lol!

I was half expecting it to actually contain tortoise..... :p

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I think I am going to try making a mini lasagna for Ichabod. Maybe this will help to tempt him into eating Mazuri. :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
BethyB1022 said:
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I think I am going to try making a mini lasagna for Ichabod. Maybe this will help to tempt him into eating Mazuri. :)

If he doesn't care for the Mazuri, try mashing it up with his greens...ot the grassland diet...that's what got my yearlings to eat it.

kyryah said:
Tortoise lasagna looks yummy ;) Of course this is coming from someone that gets cravings for Dumor horse cookies.... The oat and honey are my favorite, lol!

I was half expecting it to actually contain tortoise..... :p

I was wondering who would be the first to mention that it might contain an actual tortoise...only recipe I remember that contains a tortoise is Tom's Tortoise Soup:p

I don't know about cravings for horse cookies...but I do not mind Trader Joe's Molasses Cookies for dogs...thing is...I think they stopped making them...I din't see them the last time I was there!

terryo said:
This is so great Dean. I wish there was something similar that I could make for Pio.

I KNOW you'll come up with something...and when you do, please share it with us:p!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Can Desert Tortoises eat this? I wanted to mention that the spring mix Tom was referring to at Costco is also organic and it's hard to beat that price. :D

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
Thats really cool, thanks for sharing it. I will have to give it a shot but i'll have to make it a lot smaller lol.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Candy said:
Can Desert Tortoises eat this? I wanted to mention that the spring mix Tom was referring to at Costco is also organic and it's hard to beat that price. :D

This would be EXCELLENT for DTs...I prefer the Santa Barbara Mix...it contains NO lettuce...only endive,escarole and radicchio. Spring Mix is more than 65% lettuces...not that that's a bad thing necessarily...it's just that the other greens are so much more beneficial...you could also go with arugula and watercress.

jagsrule100 said:
Thats really cool, thanks for sharing it. I will have to give it a shot but i'll have to make it a lot smaller lol.

In your case, I'd just chop up all the ingredients together and make a little meatball:p

welly

5 Year Member
wow! this is the best tortoise food i've ever seen..
thanks for sharing, great ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.