Tortoise keeps trying to escape

Tweetybird

Location (City and/or State)
Culpeper
Hi! My name is Buddy :) I'm a Russian tortoise and my mommy needs help to keep me from falling over because I'm always trying to get out of my enclosure. Please help! Thanks ;)

Attachments

• 20210825_092531.jpg
    20210825_092531.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210817_170650.jpg
    20210817_170650.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The enclosure looks fairly big but it does need to be at least a 4x8 foot for an adult Russian. They roam a lot of area in the wild
As for climbing out, if we could see the inside of the enclosure we could give better advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to be the detective here. Try to figure out why he's not happy in there. My GUESS is it's not big enough, it's too bare and he doesn't feel safe, there isn't a steady supply of food all day long, it isn't warm enough, there are no hiding places, there's no water, etc. etc. etc!

Is there a reason this tortoise can't live outside? That's really where he belongs.

Last edited:

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I agree with the advice you’ve been given here. Looking at the enclosure using the fixture to determine its size, your enclosure is far too small for your tortoise. Time for a serious upgrade. As @wellington said, 4ft x 8ft is the minimum size you should have for your tortoise. Also, if you let your tortoise run around on the carpet outside the enclosure it will make the problem worse. Because the tortoise has seen a big world he can explore, he will always want out so he can roam.

If you haven’t seen it, here’s the best care sheet available for helping give your tortoise a great life.

Tweetybird

Culpeper
You need to be the detective here. Try to figure out why he's not happy in there. My GUESS is it's not big enough, it's too bare and he doesn't feel safe, there isn't a steady supply of food all day long, it isn't warm enough, there are no hiding places, there's no water, etc. etc. etc!

Is there a reason this tortoise can't live outside? That's really where he belongs.

Tweetybird

Culpeper
The enclosure I got from Amazon. It is big enough for Buddy, he has fresh water all the time and he gets plenty to eat. I did not know not to let him roam. I'm new to raising a tortoise and didn't think letting him roam would cause any problems. He now does not get let out, and as far as being safe he is. I'm still getting things for his enclosure, and he is one happy tortoise.