My tortoise keeps trying to escape and wont eat! *Help Needed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinusRocky

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
My new russian tortoise baby named rocky that i got earlier today is not eating and keeps trying to dig in the corners of the enclosure and when he gets to the wood he is trying to dig the wood, is this normal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My new russian tortoise baby named rocky that i got earlier today is not eating and keeps trying to dig in the corners of the enclosure and when he gets to the wood he is trying to dig the wood, is this normal?

We need more info. What size enclosure? What are your four temps? Are you using that substrate with the limestone bits in it? Is it dry? What sort of UV bulb are you using?

LinusRocky

Liverpool
We need more info. What size enclosure? What are your four temps? Are you using that substrate with the limestone bits in it? Is it dry? What sort of UV bulb are you using?
3 foot wooden inclosure with no glass to get stressed, the temp is 90 Fahrenheit in the day, wood chips as a substrate and mercury vapour bulb fitted in a solar glo shade, thanks for the help

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
i went in a shop and asked for advice and they gave me the 50/50 sand and soil mix so is it ok to change in a month or should i do it asap
Sand is a controversial topic personally I use it but it is not for everyone and I wouldn't use it as a begginer like your self try and find coco coir is my best advice
It raises the humidity to stop pyrimiding

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
3 foot wooden inclosure with no glass to get stressed, the temp is 90 Fahrenheit in the day, wood chips as a substrate and mercury vapour bulb fitted in a solar glo shade, thanks for the help

That all sounds pretty good so far. The wood chips are probably too dry, but that is fixable.

There are four temps you need to know. Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low. Can you tell us where and when it is 90 and what are the other temps?

What foods are you offering and what foods were offered wherever you go this tortoise?

Try reading these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

LinusRocky

Liverpool
Sand is a controversial topic personally I use it but it is not for everyone and I wouldn't use it as a begginer like your self try and find coco coir is my best advice
It raises the humidity to stop pyrimiding
ok i will go for that next month thankyou for the help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i went in a shop and asked for advice and they gave me the 50/50 sand and soil mix so is it ok to change in a month or should i do it ASAP?

Don't ask for advice in a pet shop. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about and will sell you dangerous products while giving you bad advice.

Sand should never be used.

LinusRocky

Liverpool
That all sounds pretty good so far. The wood chips are probably too dry, but that is fixable.

There are four temps you need to know. Warm side, cool side, basking area, and over night low. Can you tell us where and when it is 90 and what are the other temps?

What foods are you offering and what foods were offered wherever you go this tortoise?

Try reading these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
feeding him dandelions, rocket, watercress and clovers with a sprinkle of calcium supliments,
under the basking spot it is about 32oC (90 F) and 28 at the cool end

LinusRocky

Liverpool
Don't ask for advice in a pet shop. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about and will sell you dangerous products while giving you bad advice.

Sand should never be used.
I will try and give it back tomorrow but im sure i read things about it rubbing against his skin

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will try and give it back tomorrow but im sure i read things about it rubbing against his skin

It can be a skin and eye irritant, but the even bigger problem with sand is that it is likely to cause an intestinal impaction over time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
feeding him dandelions, rocket, watercress and clovers with a sprinkle of calcium supliments,
under the basking spot it is about 32oC (90 F) and 28 at the cool end

I shoot for a basking area right under the lamp of around 37. The cooler side can be 21-27 during the day and I let the overnight low drop as low as 18-21.

LinusRocky

Liverpool
if that is all, thankyou for your time and help, meanwhile i will send you pictures every so often to show you if he is a happy health tortoise or if i should make changes in diet ect. :) -Linus

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
if that is all, thankyou for your time and help, meanwhile i will send you pictures every so often to show you if he is a happy health tortoise or if i should make changes in diet ect. :) -Linus

This is just one element to consider in solving your mystery.

I would read those links and see if any other glaring differences strike you.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Offer great variety in diet. They seem to like a rotation that reflects what's in season. So if he gets tired of something, offer it again after a break.

You can compost the wood chips when you change it out. If you spot clean your new substrate you won't need to change it often, certainly not monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.