Tortoise keeps trying to escape from new enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddig95

5 Year Member
About 3 weeks ago i built a new wooden enclosure for my Russian tortoise. I read that when they are first introduced to their new home, it is common for them to try and escape. I was wondering, it is common for them to try and escape (constantly climbing on the walls) even 3-4 weeks after living in their new home? Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Russian Tortoise! Yes, folks, this is what Russian tortoises do. They only time they stop this behaviour is when they are outside or else in a very, very big indoor habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne is right, as usual.

What size is your enclosure? Temps? Lighting?

If you post some pics we might be able to offer some helpful solutions.

eddig95

5 Year Member
My enclosure is 4ft by 2ft and I keep his uvb light on about 12 hours a day. The temperature is around 78 degrees currently! I'll post some pics shortly! Thanks again everyone! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is he an adult?

What sort of UV bulb are you using? The coil types can damage their eyes and they often try to move away from them.

Where is it 78 degrees? There are four temps to be aware of. Warm side, cool side, basking spot and night.

eddig95

5 Year Member
I'm using a zoo med repti sun 10.0 uvb 24 inch light. I'm am unsure of his shelter temperature however at night the temperature drops to about 72 degrees.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please click the first link in my signature and read. It will help you and your tortoise.

eddig95

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Please click the first link in my signature and read. It will help you and your tortoise.
Thank you for your help! About the lighting, I have a 24 inch repti sun UVB tube bulb, rather than a coil bulb. The long tube bulbs are okay right? I just realized my mom has an infrared laser thermometer so I will be using that often! Thanks alot! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never seen one of the long tubes cause a problem. Have fun with the thermometer. I use mine all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.