Tortoise is missing!

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Not that I'd want to doll up the entire tortoise... but what about a spot of bright red nail polish on a scute? Would that help make them more visible in the shrubbery?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Not that I'd want to doll up the entire tortoise... but what about a spot of bright red nail polish on a scute? Would that help make them more visible in the shrubbery?
Not a bad idea. I would probably use something non toxic. Like a kids paint

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
My old house had a nice, lush yard and Bean went "missing" every day under all the greenery. He can smell his favorite foods from a mile away so if I couldn't find him in his usual hangouts what I would do was just drop a pile of strawberry or something on the ground and wait for 10 minutes. He always materialized out of thin air.

It wasn't as big of a yard as some of you multi-acre having folks though (grrr)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Little guys get stickers in the middle of their scutes, Vern gets one splotch because he's not as stealthy. 1463197818257.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have read somewhere that you should be careful with paints and nail varnish etc because they can be toxic and block uvb etc - I suppose it depends on how big the spot is, but I like the less permanent stickers idea.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As long as you're careful with content and restrict it to the centre of one scute on top, there should be no problem

Reactions: Rue

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
If duct tape seems a bit extreme I've had good luck with blue painters tape as well. Just make sure they are clean.