Nessa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arcadia, CA
My 40 lb tortoise went missing Thanksgiving from my house in Arcadia, CA. She has a spike missing on her left back leg and has a little white dent on the center top right of her shell. I have been searching for 4 hours and put up posters around my neighborhood and have knocked on doors. If anyone has seen her, please please text me asap. I really miss her. (626)472-8488. Thank you!

Attachments

• tiny.jpg
    tiny.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 99

RussianTortsNF

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
My 40 lb tortoise went missing Thanksgiving from my house in Arcadia, CA. She has a spike missing on her left back leg and has a little white dent on the center top right of her shell. I have been searching for 4 hours and put up posters around my neighborhood and have knocked on doors. If anyone has seen her, please please text me asap. I really miss her. (626)472-8488. Thank you!

I’m so sorry. I hope you find her soon.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I hope you find her or someone else does and returns her to you soon. Keep us posted.

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
Okay guys...

Hold on to your seats, because I have a crazy story to tell you.

It is confirmed that my mother was the one that left the gate open when she was trying to be nice by helping to bring in the garbage bins to the back yard.

I make flyers yesterday and posted them around my neighborhood and talking to random people walking for 3 hours. I get a text from someone that said they had 3 girls knock on their door the previous day asking if they owned a tortoise. I immediately thought of my next door neighbor that has girls living in the house. I take a flyer with me and ring their door bell. The young girl said she was the one that texted me... well don't I feel stupid, but hey, it was worth a shot.

Fast forward to today, I print out 30+ card size flyers and decided to put them on EVERYONE'S doorstep, and thought I would walk my dog at the same time to kill two birds with one stone. I talked to a couple people watering their grass and walking their dogs and NOTHING. I also flagged down a cop driving in an police SUV and he was nice enough to tell me that he would ask around and let his department know and said "I really hope you find her". I finally come home and try to do my homework even though I can't take my mind off of what is happening and told my boyfriend and best friend that I am surprise no one has called yet.

Finally at 8:30 pm, I get a text from someone that says "We saw your tortoise. Someone claimed him." I texted back saying, "Well, its a female. Would you know who?!?". I then Immediately felt bad for sending a text like that and apologized and said that I am just stressed from all of this. I got a call back asking "Can my mom call you?". Of course I responded with a "Yes please!"

I spoke to a very nice woman, she said that she was driving to the theaters on the cross street where I live and a woman slammed on her breaks in front of her and started to get out of the car. She also got out wondering what the heck was going on. She then put it in a safe area and knocked on 3 doors asking if it was theirs. No one claimed her, so she told my next door neighbor that she will call animal control. I believe what happened next was that she went home and put my tortoise in her house and went to go watch the movie with her family. When they got back home, she was debating whether or not she should call animal control because she was worried that no one would claim her. She was speaking to her son and telling him that she didn't know what to do but she finally made a decision to call animal control. In the meantime, little did she know that her husband put out a flyer saying that they found a turtle.

A man showed up at their door and was claiming it was his. She said was an old man around 65 years old and white. She told him that you need to deal with animal control because she did not want to be apart of the decision making whether or not he was the owner. Finally, animal control showed up. The old man told animal control that the turtle was his and GAVE IT TO HIM! The woman stated that he drove off in a emerald green Bronco.

I called the police station immediately, they couldn't help me. I was debating whether or not to call animal control because I knew they were closed, but I knew they had an emergency center. The automated operator said it was after business hours but if this an emergency involving an animal, press 0. So, I pressed 0 with a little hesitation but then though, IT'S PARTIALLY THEIR FAULT!

I spoke to a really nice woman and was sobbing on the phone with her trying to keep my composure and she said that she understood and told me that she will have someone call me right away to get to the bottom of this.

I get a call 30 minutes later from a woman from animal control personnel. I told her the story again because she said that she did not really understand the notes that were given to her. She said that I should file a police report and I told her that I actually called to file and they said that since the woman did not get a license plate # there was nothing they could do. She also advised that I could in fact press charges against the woman that took the tortoise because it is illegal to give someone else's "property" away and it is considered theft. I told her that I did not want to do that because she is the one that is trying to help me! I asked her what time animal control was called and if she had any information about the call that was placed thanksgiving night about a tortoise. She said that her notes stated that it was taken care in 30 minutes and said the animal was given back to its owner. She also told me that there was a number. I asked for the number to see if it was that nice woman that took care of my tortoise. She apologized and said that she could not give me that information but she would call it for me to try to find more information. Before we hung up, I told her the name of the woman that I spoke to on the phone earlier.

She called me back in 45 minutes and said that it was in fact the woman that helped and she said that both our stories were identical and it seemed to her that it was the fault of animal control. I asked her if it is the fault of animal control, what happens from here? She said that it would be a legal issue. Meaning... I can sue animal control if the correct procedures weren't taken in this event. She said that she was going to email her lieutenant because this ordeal is above her head and she is not experienced enough with something like this. She said that she will do her best to try to help figure this out and was really apologetic to all of this. She was really nice. Everyone involved has been really nice!

I just hope this horrible man is not hurting her in any way. I am so worried. Sorry for the long update, but like I said.. it is a crazy story. YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!

I will be sure to update you when the lieutenant gets back to me on Monday. Thank you everyone for a hopeful wishes.

Last edited:

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
This got my blood boiling! Really hope you find your tort and may a nest of 100000 fleas make home in that emerald green Bronco... btw, there CANT be many emerald green Broncos!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow...quite the story. I'm sure Animal Control was just happy to give the tortoise to a person claiming to be the owner. Just didnt follow their rules on first verifying ownership.

Good luck!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
WOW ! Sorry it has turned into a quest for you ! I am sure everyone is being nice with the legal issues that are starting to arise . Best of luck !

MissFreshRR

Southern Cali
Oh my goodness I cannot believe how careless animal control can be. Like seriously there should have been questions and identifiers involved before releasing the animal. I hope you get ur baby back.

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
This got my blood boiling! Really hope you find your tort and may a nest of 100000 fleas make home in that emerald green Bronco... btw, there CANT be many emerald green Broncos!
Yes, all of us will definitely be on the look out!

Nessa

5 Year Member
Arcadia, CA
Oh my goodness I cannot believe how careless animal control can be. Like seriously there should have been questions and identifiers involved before releasing the animal. I hope you get ur baby back.
You would think that there would be some type of holding period for this animal.If no one claims it in a few days then have the man come back and pick it up. I'm sure there has to be something like that in place otherwise it would not be a legal issue at this point.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You would think that there would be some type of holding period for this animal.If no one claims it in a few days then have the man come back and pick it up. I'm sure there has to be something like that in place otherwise it would not be a legal issue at this point.
I bet they wouldn't have as quick to hand it off if it had been a dog or cat. They probably thought there couldn't be that many lost tortoises, and didn't realize that someone would lie to get a free tortoise.