Tortoise is missing!

ShellyTheTortoise71

Pleas help. My young red foot tortoise is missing! I left her in my yard and she went missing. She's been missing for several hours. My whole family and I have searched EVERYWHERE. I'm desperate. Please help me find my tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get on hands and knees and feel under everything including funny fingers thru weeds and grass. It amazing how they blend in. If you don't find her today/tonight, look first thing tomorrow when the sun comes out, she will want to warm up. Inform neighbors, vet clinics and animal rescues, just incase she was stolen. Could she have been stolen or picked up by a prey bird or animal. Keep looking daily, good luck, keep us informed and so sorry this happened.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Get on hands and knees and feel under everything including funny fingers thru weeds and grass. It amazing how they blend in. If you don't find her today/tonight, look first thing tomorrow when the sun comes out, she will want to warm up. Inform neighbors, vet clinics and animal rescues, just incase she was stolen. Could she have been stolen or picked up by a prey bird or animal. Keep looking daily, good luck, keep us informed and so sorry this happened.
Ok thanks. I doubt she was picked up by an animal, since I have a fence. I also don't think she was stolen because my other tort was out at the time, and she was fine. I hope I find her. I'm going to look as soon as I wake up tomorrow :(

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Look all along the perimeter of your yard. They like to test the fences. Mine bury themselves so well that I panic sometimes. Because of this they each get a neon sticker when they go out so I can spot them.

Good luck, keep looking and let the neighbors know.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Leave out some irrisistable food in a sunny spot in the garden to tempt him/her out

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Omg! I am sooo sorry!!!! One of my baby RF's went missing back in February! Often the coldest month in Central Texas! I was putting out his favorite food made fresh daily and kept fresh water in water dish, plus made "nest" out of cut down vegetation and put 2 heating lamps over it. All in the place where he was last seen. I kept that going for full 4 weeks!!!! My husband was getting upset about the extra 200 watts going 24/7 just out into thin air and I was going to take it down but had told him "after this one more last weekend!" And it was that last weekend when the baby was found safe and sound, walking on my driveway towards the garage. I hope you find yours soon. At least it's not cold now. When Tucker was lost we had few days in the 30's... Sending some good luck energy your way. Blessings

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
One more thing about me finding my Tucker, ALL of the ideas on search of lost tort came from this forum! I take no credit for any of that. It was all you guys on here!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Peanut has been found :D. She just randomly popped up. I've been searching for her for several hours and the moment I go inside and come back she's just sitting right there. Thanks for all the help. I couldn't be happier:)
Happy ending! ! ! !:):)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Yay! A word of advise - my torts don't go in their outdoor pens without a price of neon tape on their top scute. It makes life a little more easy.

The BF suggested glow in the dark stickers for night, haha.

Rue

Canada
I'm thinking a fluorescent tortoise cozy isn't such a bad idea after all. I was also wondering if some 'flag' attached to a harness wouldn't be handy.

You'd still have to be outside with them while they were wearing it of course, but at least they couldn't disappear from view as easily...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank goodness for that. They are masters of disguise and like to give us heart attacks now and then!
Hope he enjoyed his little adventure!!:)

ShellyTheTortoise71

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Definetly going to keep a closer eye on her.

Thank goodness for that. They are masters of disguise and like to give us heart attacks now and then!
Hope he enjoyed his little adventure!!:)
Tell me about it lol. And I'm sure she did. 21 hour adventure for her, 21 hour panic attack for me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Even Joe, who is 10 inches long and weighs 7lb, can be very hard to find. I regularly have heart failure when I fail to turn him up on a basic search of the garden. I know all his regular spots, but either he finds a new one or he just blends in too well.